Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Engine painting help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine painting help!!!

Does anyone have any experience with painting a block and heads? I am rebuilding my engine and dressing it up and I want the block and heads to be at least a flat black if not gloss. Does anyone know of any Hi-Temp paints that will work on my LT1 engine and heads without bubbling up, peeling, flaking, or discoloring??? I would like to paint it flat black with a clear coat over that...possible??? Any good recommended brands?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I used the high temp engine block paint you get at autozone, it worked fine for me. About the clearcoating, someone correct me if i am wrong, but I think if you clear it it may tend to hold in more heat. gl
Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

go to the local auto store and you will find hi temp engine paints and clear.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Well, I have never done this but...... The last time I was at PPG's paint school for a recert. The instructor (Highly respected) builds old Vett's and clasic muscle cars and he says that on all of his engines he has used PPG's Concept Single stage paint and he say's it holds up great. Like I said I've never done this so it is up to you if your willing to do it.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the duplicolor high temp engine paint and it's held up great
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

I used the stuff at Autozone for my 71 on the block and iron heads (when I swapped in aluminum heads I left them bare), and it worked fine, just make sure to get the surface clean and free of any dirt, fuel or oils before hand.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cvalliere is on the right track, He's probably talking about Lynn or Mike at PPG. The block and heads must be clean. I would reccommend a maroon scoth-brite with metal cleaner and warm water. Cast iron is very pourous. Once clean and dry apply some epoxy primer (DP-90 is black). This adheres good to open pore metal and aluminum. You can flatten single stage paints like Concept Acrylic Urethane. I have painted several engines this way for my Chevelle. It's durable, looks good, and I allways get compliments on my engine compartments. Take a look at PPG's website, it's full of useful information and gives you the mixing ratios for flattening Concept (black).
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have painted several engines with both single stage and base clear paints and they hold up way better than any other engine paint available. Don't worry about heat, the hood of your car in summer gets about as hot as the surface of the engine block (except around the exhaust ports). My guy at Napa says it holds on forever. He has to bake an engine block several times to get off automotive paint while spray paint is gone in on baking. Just make sure the engine is imaculately clean of oil and mask off everything you don't want paint on before starting.

P.S. this is a way better idea on a older muscell car where you can actually see the engine block and heads. On a late model LT1 in a Camaro your just wasting your time and money as you'll never see it anyway.

Re'
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg campbell
Cvalliere is on the right track, He's probably talking about Lynn or Mike at PPG. The block and heads must be clean. I would reccommend a maroon scoth-brite with metal cleaner and warm water. Cast iron is very pourous. Once clean and dry apply some epoxy primer (DP-90 is black). This adheres good to open pore metal and aluminum. You can flatten single stage paints like Concept Acrylic Urethane. I have painted several engines this way for my Chevelle. It's durable, looks good, and I allways get compliments on my engine compartments. Take a look at PPG's website, it's full of useful information and gives you the mixing ratios for flattening Concept (black).
Actually I refering to Jeff Matauch.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I ASSUMED because you were from Michigan you went to the Edina, MN training facility. There was some guys from the UP there two summers ago. Sorry?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

ive had the best luck with a basecoat clear coat combination or a single stage combination.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg campbell
Well I ASSUMED because you were from Michigan you went to the Edina, MN training facility. There was some guys from the UP there two summers ago. Sorry?
Nope, I went to Detroit for school since I live about 1h. 45min. North of there.

Quick Reply: Engine painting help!!!