Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

candy base coats

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default candy base coats

Anybody ever used a candy base coat in a situation that would normally call for a conventional candy? In other words how transparent are they? I was thinking of spraying a dark coarse metallic silver, over black, then laying some blue candy base on top followed by clear. I am just curious if this could get me a similar effect to doing the same thing with a regular candy blue over the silver/black base.

The basic look I want to achieve without having to pay an arm and a leg for is one of the two chips in the top right corner where the metallic is under the cobalt blue:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/showchip20.aspx

Maybe I could use an inner coat clear/candy base mix to make it more transparent, if necessary. I would obviously do some test panels first, I am just trying to save some coin, any suggestions.....
Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

silver base then tint the uc100 or for even a cheaper route, use a base binder (omni m150)with no color and tint it with the cobalt. i tinted the m150 when doing my car, but it was gold pearl over black so i couldnt honestly tell you if it will yellow or not and even if it did, it didnt matter with the effect i was going for/achieved. just lay down a test and determine how much color you will have to put in the uc100 or m150 and how many passes it will take to get the coverage/transperancy you want. good luck.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The candy base systems look pretty good and they are easier to spray than the conventional candy but they don't have quite the depth of the original candy.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

I'm hoping mixing it with the inner coat clear will give it a bit more depth. Then I think I am also going to add a little dry red pearl or maybe red "ghost pearl" to the first coat of clear to give it a little flip. We'll see how the test panels turn out, after I finish one of my customers' truck this week I should be able to afford to start ordering paint for the test panels. Then this will hopefully all be done by the end of October.....

Quick Reply: candy base coats