Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running richhhh

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running richhhh

i have a pcm4less tune and have had it since i got the car. but in the last week or so its been running a bit rich i can smell gas pretty bad. do i just need to get it re-tuned? it was spitting gas out of the exhaust..
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you checking the Air Fuel Ratio with a wideband?

I only ask with the utmost respect, as I have found it is very hard to always associate the 'raw gas smell' with the actual air fuel ratio.

I have had a similar experience and once I hooked up a wideband, I actually found the AFR was actually right on or sometimes even leaner than I thought.

If you are running closed-loop, as soon as your O2 sensors warm up they will trim your mixture to ~14.7 anyway.

It will start richer with cooler ECT temperatures. You can also manipulate the AFR quite easily with a tuning suite, and a wideband.

If all else fails, I am sure your tuning vendor can make adjustments. They may bring up some of the same points I have.

Hope you figure it out.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

thanks that really helps. i was thinking it might have been because of the weather..85 degrees last week in the 30's this week lol. after my car warms up it doesnt do it as bad. when i dynod the car 2 weeks ago it kept a good 12.5 a/f
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

also my gas milage has gone down pretty bad and when i let off the gas it idles down in stages like goes to 2k rpms then down to 1k
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing against your tuning services or vendor, but a few things to consider.

Having control over your own tune is immensely satisfying. The gas mileage decrease could simply be reflective of the changing seasons and resulting temperature drop. Burning of fuel becomes less efficient, and as gas stations change to their winter blend, you will usually drop 2-3 mpg vs summer.

On the tuning front, it is always possible that the Injector Flow Rate was changed. You might check with the vendor and ask what all was changed. In terms on the rpm dropping slowly and in stages, there are multiple idle and airflow tables that control the rate of airflow and its decay.. (Idle Airlow, Throttle Cracker, Throttle Follower, etc.)

All of those tables are found in a top-level tuning suite. If you have the ambition and patience to learn it, you will always be in control of your own tune.

Otherwise, having access to a top-level tuner is as important as having a great family doctor. If you find one, preferably local, all your problems will be solved.

Absolutely nothing against mail-order, but your ability to control your own tune is an incredible advantage.

If the problems you are having are annoying, I would simply contact the vendor. Otherwise, you will be spending a lot of time just guessing.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned

Yeah I have a PCMforLess tune too and mine is way to rich!!! I want to get it on the dyno!!