Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotap users help please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotap users help please...

I just got an AT1 enhanced, however it is the serial version and I don't have any serial ports on my laptops, so I got a USB to Serial adapter. I suppose that may be the source of my problem, but i'm open to your suggestions.

The software will connect, but it always asks for the VIN number...once I put in the VIN, it says "retrieving applicable parameters"...the progress indicator blinks for about a minute or so, then it gives me the "connected" main screen. Then I select "tables" and "setup" to import parameters...here's where the problem is...the only listed parameter is "clock". I tried this on three vehicles, a 2006 Silverado, a 2004 GP, and a 2006 G6, and I get the same thing each time. The G6 even has a check engine light on, so I know there's at least one DTC in the system, but when I click "retrieve DTCs", it shows that there are none.

What's the deal here?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to answer the first part.
Assuming you are connected but have a blank screen:
Select Display - Add table. You should now have a blank table.
On the bottom of the Table, select Add. You should now have a listing of all your parameters, broken into groups.
I will attempt to attach one of my config files that you should be able to load. It will have a table, some gauges, and a chart.
Rename it from a .doc extension to an .atc extension and you should be able to load it into Autotap. You don't need to be connected to load it.

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 08-20-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I'll try to answer the first part.
Assuming you are connected but have a blank screen:
Select Display - Add table. You should now have a blank table.
On the bottom of the Table, select Add. You should now have a listing of all your parameters, broken into groups.
I will attempt to attach one of my config files that you should be able to load. It will have a table, some gauges, and a chart.
Rename it from a .doc extension to an .atc extension and you should be able to load it into Autotap. You don't need to be connected to load it.
Well this is neat...I tried your config file and got the message "invalid file". I went to Autotap's site and downloaded the updated software, figuring that was the problem. Well it made a huge difference. Now I can't even connect to the vehicle. The first version was connecting but not finding any parameters to add...the new version can't connect, it keeps saying it can't find the Autotap tool. I know the tool works fine, since I can still use it in the old version of the software.

WTF?!?!?

I can now load your config file in playback mode though. Looks great, wish it would work though.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Good point, I forgot that part. You absolutely must load the latest version (3.10), which they have been calliing "Beta" for years now.
Is your COM port in Autotap the same as the COM port assigned to the USB to serial adapter? You'll need to go into the Device Manager and check.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Good point, I forgot that part. You absolutely must load the latest version (3.10), which they have been calliing "Beta" for years now.
Is your COM port in Autotap the same as the COM port assigned to the USB to serial adapter? You'll need to go into the Device Manager and check.
Yup...the adapter is either COM4 or COM5...sometimes one, sometimes the other. Autotap is automatically scanning all COM ports for the device. It still claims it's not there.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Yup...the adapter is either COM4 or COM5...sometimes one, sometimes the other. Autotap is automatically scanning all COM ports for the device. It still claims it's not there.
In Device Manager, Port Settings - Advanced, force it to COM 1 or 3. That should solve your connect problem. It (should) also solve the VIN problem.
LMK.