PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible bad MAP sensor wih no code?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default possible bad MAP sensor wih no code?

ive been dealing with tuning issues pretty much since i got my TA, the MAF died and now even on an SD tune the car will not idle cold or during hot restarts. It stutters and pops from around 4200-redline. Ive had someone look at the tune and they said it looks good for the mods the car has but i can not get it to run right at all.

mods
LT/full exhast / no cat
224 cam
ls6 mani
60lb injectors (for when i put the psc1 one, if and when i can get it to run right)

since the MAF is not working and its running in SD mode but still having issues, is it possible the MAP sensor is messed up but jsut not throwing a code?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Doubtful on the MAP question. What tuning software are you using? Can you post your tune? cold & hot starts could be timing related to ECT & IAT. Sputters & pops sound like fueling. What's your WOT PE fueling set to (A/F ratio)? It's best to post your tune. These are just guestimates based on what has been listed. Am not sure how the 60# ers are tuned either. Adding them without injector programing mods could also be part of the trouble.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Doubtful on the MAP question. What tuning software are you using? Can you post your tune? cold & hot starts could be timing related to ECT & IAT. Sputters & pops sound like fueling. What's your WOT PE fueling set to (A/F ratio)? It's best to post your tune. These are just guestimates based on what has been listed. Am not sure how the 60# ers are tuned either. Adding them without injector programing mods could also be part of the trouble.
it had the same issue with the stock injectors though too, i used efilive and the autotune procedure to get this tune and it still wont run right.
Attached Files
File Type: tun
sdtuning.tun (474.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
it had the same issue with the stock injectors though too, i used efilive and the autotune procedure to get this tune and it still wont run right.

Just took a quick glance @ your tune & there are a lot of issues. Give me some time & I'll post a changed table to get you started. Also, you need to calibrate your MAF table. Bring the car up to temp. & then watch the STFT's during idle. Increase all of the MAF table values by 3-5% each time until your STFT's are between 0 & -3%. This will correct your MAF table scaling. You may not be able to do this until the ECT & IAT spark is modified. I see why your cold & hot starts are an issue. Also can see why you are popping & banging (too much WOT timing). Lastly, you're pig rich during WOT. There's more, just give me a couple hours or so & I'll post a modified tune. After receiving it, you should be able to idle the car & re-scale the MAF. After all of that, start all over again. AutoVE & then PE.

You are using a wide band to confirm A/F ratio, yes?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just took a quick glance @ your tune & there are a lot of issues. Give me some time & I'll post a changed table to get you started. Also, you need to calibrate your MAF table. Bring the car up to temp. & then watch the STFT's during idle. Increase all of the MAF table values by 3-5% each time until your STFT's are between 0 & -3%. This will correct your MAF table scaling. You may not be able to do this until the ECT & IAT spark is modified. I see why your cold & hot starts are an issue. Also can see why you are popping & banging (too much WOT timing). Lastly, you're pig rich during WOT. There's more, just give me a couple hours or so & I'll post a modified tune. After receiving it, you should be able to idle the car & re-scale the MAF. After all of that, start all over again. AutoVE & then PE.

You are using a wide band to confirm A/F ratio, yes?
yep, usin a plx wideband, im not running a maf right now and since im goin boosted i figured id just leave it off. I thought the timming was pretty close to stock
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks alot too, i havent been able to get a solid answer on this tuning issue for months (like 6)
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

What year is your car?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What year is your car?
99, runin an 02 OS though
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

99, runin an 02 OS though
Yah, I saw that the OS serial number was for an 02 & wanted to check.
OK, here is a base tune that should work. Use it to start the car, bring the car up to operating temp. & then scale the MAF table by sitting in the driveway & increasing the whole MAF table 3 to 5% @ a time. After logging STFT's, increase accordingly until your STFT's are 0 to-3%. Now your MAF is scaled correctly. Next run Auto VE per the tuning instructions. Once you're happy w/ Auto VE, then make your WOT logs for PE. Once PE is where you want it, you can play around w/ spark. Always log knock to make sure there is less than 0.5 degree @ any time. I use 0, but less than 0.5 is OK.

I did not change your current VE table or your PE table. Figured that they were close enough based on your own wideband tuning. The spark was an issue in many areas.

Keep your current tune file & copy this one onto your computer & save everything before you load it into the car. This tune should get you safely started. However, it can take Months to dial a car in completely. You'll need to continue to play around w/ idle airflows & overall tuning. Good-luck & again this is a start; there will be questions.

The tune file won't load. Says "exceeds forum quota by 471.5KB. PM me your e-mail & I'll send the tune file there.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

e-mail sent

Does anyone know why I got an "exceed forum quota" error? Have never had this problem before.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yah, I saw that the OS serial number was for an 02 & wanted to check.
OK, here is a base tune that should work. Use it to start the car, bring the car up to operating temp. & then scale the MAF table by sitting in the driveway & increasing the whole MAF table 3 to 5% @ a time. After logging STFT's, increase accordingly until your STFT's are 0 to-3%. Now your MAF is scaled correctly. Next run Auto VE per the tuning instructions. Once you're happy w/ Auto VE, then make your WOT logs for PE. Once PE is where you want it, you can play around w/ spark. Always log knock to make sure there is less than 0.5 degree @ any time. I use 0, but less than 0.5 is OK.

I did not change your current VE table or your PE table. Figured that they were close enough based on your own wideband tuning. The spark was an issue in many areas.

Keep your current tune file & copy this one onto your computer & save everything before you load it into the car. This tune should get you safely started. However, it can take Months to dial a car in completely. You'll need to continue to play around w/ idle airflows & overall tuning. Good-luck & again this is a start; there will be questions.

The tune file won't load. Says "exceeds forum quota by 471.5KB. PM me your e-mail & I'll send the tune file there.
awsome thanks alot, ill post up what i find
Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

yep, usin a plx wideband, im not running a maf right now and since im goin boosted i figured id just leave it off. I thought the timming was pretty close to stock

I just saw this. Skipped it while reading.....duh! So, if you're SD & happy & confident w/ the MAP @ throttle position & RPM, then there's no need to calibrate the MAF. You'll need to play around w/ idle airflow & other related idle issues for a smooth idle & you'l want 0 to-3% STFT's @ idle (VE table). Looked to me like start-up, idle, & engine knock were issues, as you stated. So, just make sure to log knock all of the time while your playing around w/ spark. You'll want to re-confirm the VE & PE tables.

Quick Reply: possible bad MAP sensor wih no code?