PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does vss have anything to do with idle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default does vss have anything to do with idle?

my motor keeps dying when i come to a stop. and if i put it in nuetral sometimes that keeps it from dying but if i drive real slow like 1 mile an hour down my driveway it surges an wants to die.

i ask about the vss because if im rolling along and throw it in nuetral it idles fine but more than 50% of the time as i come to a stop the idle drops and when i finally stop it dies ?????

and this motor was tuned before i got it (by who i dont know) and i am planning on getting some tuning software.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides telling the pcm the car isnt moving no. it sounds like the tune isnt very good and def needs to be re-done. does the motor have h/c?

could be something stupid too like a vacumm leak
Old 12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MattysTA
besides telling the pcm the car isnt moving no. it sounds like the tune isnt very good and def needs to be re-done. does the motor have h/c?

could be something stupid too like a vacumm leak

it does have ported heads an a cam. and form what im told it had trouble idleing in the trans am this motor came out of.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
it does have ported heads an a cam. and form what im told it had trouble idleing in the trans am this motor came out of.
well if you havent had the pcm tuned for this motor you def need to. and if it was done then they didnt tune the idle properly for the cam. what lsa does the cam have?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

this pcm was tuned on a chassis dyno for this motor. i think you guys are right the tune is totally wrong, i was just hoping there was a way to do something before i have the money to buy the software. thanks guys
Old 12-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need VSS and a P/N signal or the PCM will not know if it's suppose be controlling the idle or not
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a tune issue to me also. It's pretty much expected to be something you have to work on with a cammed car. Some times even with just dyno tune this problem exists.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by poconojoe
You need VSS and a P/N signal or the PCM will not know if it's suppose be controlling the idle or not

i wonder if the speedo being off could have anything to do with this problem then. this stang has 355 gears in it and i dont know what was in my buddies t/a but my speedo is definetly off by about 10-15 miles an hour in a 55 zone keeping up with traffic it say 40-45mph.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It will need the VSS to determine decay so yea if the VSS is crap then it could cause surging while idling at a roll.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

when you say crap.. do you mean not working at all or the reading diff than the actual speed (gear and tire size beeing wrong)?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you say crap.. do you mean not working at all or the reading diff than the actual speed (gear and tire size beeing wrong)?
crap = not working right or not working at all. There are decay tables that are broken down by mph. If the pcm is seeing an incorrect mph it will use incorrect decay/delay values and that can affect the idle.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

you need vss to properly tune the car.. i wasnt running vss on my ls2 notch and my idle was all over the place. it was dying on deceleration and acting funny... i had to keep playing with the throttle cracker in hp tuners to get it to keep idle and kinda fool the computer... i have the vss hooked up now and everything works great
Old 12-13-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Both have and have not had a vss on the same car- 23x/24x cam 6.0 and it idles fine 850rpm- no P/N switch either. If you really wanna take the time it can be tuned.

Not that I know the exact controlls off the top of my head, but VSS and TPS should affect idle by having the car change a few values that affect idle-
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Classic symptoms.

For dying: Engine > Idle > Airflow > Min ETC (raise it)

For idle seeking: Engine > Airflow > dynamic > VE correction factor (more NEGATIVE)

Better get some software.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one explanation for engine stall coming to a stop with no VSS.

no vehicle speed reported, PCM thinks it should control IDLE. When you let off the gas, if engine RPM is higher then target IDLE, the PCM will close the idle control motor trying to bring the RPM down, again it doesn't know you are moving.

When you come to a stop, the IAC is completely shut and doesn't open fast enough and engine stalls.

I even had the same issues with a Drive By Wire setup, 5.3L TH400. Engine would idle very low, around 400 rpm, for a few seconds before it would finally go back up to target 750 rpm. After I added a 15 pulse/rev sensor and got it programmed, all issues went away.

Throw a cam into the mix and it makes it worse. I had a 383 LT1, LT4 hot cam, etc and it would die every time I come to a stop, got VSS working and it stopped doing that.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has no VSS & it's fine. There are a few posts in addition to this one that explain most of where you need to look. Usually, IAC parked, IAC steps, IAC airflow, IAT & ECT spark, throttle cracker, are culprits. VE can be, but is less likely. The tuner most likely tuned WOT only, which would explain why the idle remains an issue. DIY tune using your own software is a good choice if you're willing to spend the time & learn. Good-luck
Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

this may sound dumb...... but, do software programs come with any preset tunes (i.e. stock tnue or stage1 etc)?

the reason i ask is when i can buy this software i was thinking it would at least run better with the stock tune and i could go form there.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this may sound dumb...... but, do software programs come with any preset tunes (i.e. stock tnue or stage1 etc)?

the reason i ask is when i can buy this software i was thinking it would at least run better with the stock tune and i could go form there.

You can request a stock tune w/ the purchase of the software or download a stock or even a reference modified tune from the LS1Tech (sticky) or software provider's tune repository.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

thanks, looks like i got soem learning to do.

Quick Reply: does vss have anything to do with idle?