Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tuning School?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Are you sure that place tunes with IFR? If so, they would've been chased off of HPT's website long ago.
Their original "beginners" version made no mention for VE or MAF tuning from what I recall. This may have since been revised, or as least I'd hope.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Are you sure that place tunes with IFR? If so, they would've been chased off of HPT's website long ago.
Just to clear up what I'm saying here. I don't think that The Tuning School teaches or tunes just IFR or PE. I was referring to the shop that originally tuned VIPERBLUELX's car. They just messed with the PE to get WOT AFR dialed in and nothing else.

I agree that if that were the case they would be harassed on every forum they visited. And that isn't happening.
Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
From what I've seen they teach that you can just alter IFR and PE tables to get your desired A/F ratio. Hack.
Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
There are plenty of sponsors on this very board that tune that way, and they are still around. It's all about the $$$.
Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
They tune that way, not teach that way.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Teching In

I went to the school after spending a ton of time on the HP Tuners forum and not being able to "get it."

There are 1,000 different ways people go about doing ****, so when you listen expect 1,000 different answers to the same solution. The class teaches you one way of doing it that works. You get the complete answer from step A - step Z.

You can take your $650 investment in the cable/software and it be a complete waste due to not knowing what to do with the thing. I know I did it before with the LT1 software.

I was EXTREMELY frustrated when I got my HP Tuners setup. No owners manual, no basics, no nothing. Or maybe I missed it all, I dunno, but "Press F1 for help" isn't what I wanted. I do know that the entire process seems like it is done by people that have horrible communication skills. For example, the credit system took a good 4 readings to make sense.

The Tuning School is, to me, what HP Tuners should come with. After completing the course, you are able to go out and tune stock-medium setups. Or you can spend 6 months on HP Tuners trying to make sense of everything.

Some people do get it easier than others. So I'm not trying to say that you will never get it if you don't go to the school. But I'm the type of guy that likes someone to say "This is how it works" and then I expand on what I know.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

There are 1000 different ways to accomplish something specific, but for the most part there is only on real way to get it all right. Though few people have the time, equipment, or know how to pull that off.

So do they just teach IFR and PE tuning? That's the real question here.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning School

I had one of the home learning CD's Books. It was very basic, however very informative for a newbie. Depends on how someone picks up all this newer garbo of ECM, EFI, Speed Density Inj. bandwidth, etc. etc... I sold it a few weeks ago... Now onto more in depth tuning.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidws6
I had one of the home learning CD's Books. It was very basic, however very informative for a newbie. Depends on how someone picks up all this newer garbo of ECM, EFI, Speed Density Inj. bandwidth, etc. etc... I sold it a few weeks ago... Now onto more in depth tuning.
is there something more advanced? I bought the pro version and an LM2 wideband and honestly i dont really know how to use it other than to delete codes, raise the rev limiter, and small things like removing TQM. I need to learn how to really tune a car with a cam, n2o, etc. and also how to use the wideband and how to apply the readings in a tune.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
is there something more advanced? I bought the pro version and an LM2 wideband and honestly i dont really know how to use it other than to delete codes, raise the rev limiter, and small things like removing TQM. I need to learn how to really tune a car with a cam, n2o, etc. and also how to use the wideband and how to apply the readings in a tune.
You should be doing a lot of reading on HPTuners forums. Search for MAF tuning and SD tuning. Using the PRO version and a wideband, it's really easy to get your airflow models dialed in pretty close with very little time involved. There's plenty of info over there about how to setup your wideband and build custom histograms.

I also would invest in some decent reading material. Such as Greg Banish's book. It's a quick cheap read that really explains how stuff works for a better understanding of what needs to be done in order to control your ECM. Though it's not really HPTuners specific, there are some examples in the back.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 01-29-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAS sport book is good as well..
Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advanced course

From what I understand the tuning school is suppose to be coming out with a more advanced course. The basic course was very basic.

Do what JonCR96Z said, Go to HP Tuners forums and sift through the wealth of information there.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BSmith
I went to the school after spending a ton of time on the HP Tuners forum and not being able to "get it."

There are 1,000 different ways people go about doing ****, so when you listen expect 1,000 different answers to the same solution. The class teaches you one way of doing it that works. You get the complete answer from step A - step Z.

You can take your $650 investment in the cable/software and it be a complete waste due to not knowing what to do with the thing. I know I did it before with the LT1 software.

I was EXTREMELY frustrated when I got my HP Tuners setup. No owners manual, no basics, no nothing. Or maybe I missed it all, I dunno, but "Press F1 for help" isn't what I wanted. I do know that the entire process seems like it is done by people that have horrible communication skills. For example, the credit system took a good 4 readings to make sense.

The Tuning School is, to me, what HP Tuners should come with. After completing the course, you are able to go out and tune stock-medium setups. Or you can spend 6 months on HP Tuners trying to make sense of everything.

Some people do get it easier than others. So I'm not trying to say that you will never get it if you don't go to the school. But I'm the type of guy that likes someone to say "This is how it works" and then I expand on what I know.
That's how I feel, so we're on the same boat here. So you feel it was worth going and learned alot? Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You should be doing a lot of reading on HPTuners forums. Search for MAF tuning and SD tuning. Using the PRO version and a wideband, it's really easy to get your airflow models dialed in pretty close with very little time involved. There's plenty of info over there about how to setup your wideband and build custom histograms.

I also would invest in some decent reading material. Such as Greg Banish's book. It's a quick cheap read that really explains how stuff works for a better understanding of what needs to be done in order to control your ECM. Though it's not really HPTuners specific, there are some examples in the back.
I do spend a lot of time on HP Tuners forum and have read Banish's book, both helped/are helping . They left me unsure about many things, so I'm looking for a solid foundaton from which to expand

Originally Posted by davidws6
From what I understand the tuning school is suppose to be coming out with a more advanced course. The basic course was very basic.

Do what JonCR96Z said, Go to HP Tuners forums and sift through the wealth of information there.
On the tuning schools website it says they are coming out with a more advanced course. I have found a lot of info on HP Tuners forum, but to an extent it feels like trying to learn how to rebuild a engine by following instructions from 3 different books, gets confusing quite easily.

Last edited by 346ci; 01-29-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Launching!

I learned from spending hours and hours reading posts on here and Camaroz28.com. If you have a question about what something does, I'm sure someone has asked it before you and it can be found.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys