Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running really lean at idle and at end of 1/4.. someone help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running really lean at idle and at end of 1/4.. someone help

Here is the deal Im running at 25% ltrims at idle and about 2% when cruising. The car has 30# SVO and also runs really lean at the end of the 1/4 when i let off the throttle. Also the car has a good midrange but falls on its face at 6000 rpms I scaled the ifr down to 4.11 as the first starting value. At the track my o2s are at 940ish and Ivaried the ifr 20% and gained no et. Someone please shed some light.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: running really lean at idle and at end of 1/4.. someone help

I forgot to mention I sent the car in open loop mode and o2 values gotr down to a 240mV. I noticed that the car will run good after programming but then in a few minutes lean out and stay lean. I checked for vacumm leaks by spraying carb cleaner and no change. it seems that the computer is commanding less fuel. I alo changed mafs and have new o2s and fuel pressure is at 58
Old 10-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: running really lean at idle and at end of 1/4.. someone help

Is your new MAF reporting similar g/sec as your original at the top of each gear? If not, the scaling in your new MAF is different than your old one. I fell for the same schtick........... you know..........."this whahoochiee MAF is scalled exactly the same as your stock MAF for your model year.......blah, blah, blah........yeah, right. Anyway, you'll need to do some logging with your original stock MAF and then your new MAF and then compare the reported flow rates. I had to rescale my MAF up by 16% to report the same g/sec as the stock MAF. My A4 trans shifts were dead soft with the stock MAF calibration and new MAF, but once I rescalled it, it shifts like normal. There are however some issues with the scalling in the 2000hz-3000hz range. I'm trying to resolve these problems, but am just lacking time to get it done.
As for running lean at the end of the quarter mile, when you lift off the throttle the PCM is reporting similar MAP conditions to decellerating downhill and there is a function for the PCM to cut off fuel under these conditions. I don't know how you modify this function yet. Perhaps someone else can chime in. If your not running any CATS, then turn off COTS with Edit. It sounds to me like your PCM is dumping fuel when Catalytic Over Temp (COTS) is enabled. Commanded AFR typically dives to 11.6:1 when COTS kicks in. If you are running CATS, DO NOT DISABLE COTS! It'll fry your CATS! You can instead try raising the COTS enabled temp by 100º across the range. It will help to delay the point at which COTS is commanded by the PCM.
Overall, it sounds to me like your MAF is causing the large swings in LTFTs and you need to add some fuel when in PE.

Good luck,
Richard