PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use Autotap as a scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody use Autotap as a scanner?

I want to know if anybody is using Autotap and what they think of it. I can get an older AP1 for a good price and already have a tuner so that is covered. I just need it to read codes and do datlogs for tuning.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the older version all the time for tuning non-LSx and early ODBII cars.

For the LSXs I think the associated scanner with the tuners now-days are preferrable.

However, autotap has worked well for me for years. The nice thing about autotap is you can use it on anything.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I have used it for years. I have made the following observations:
Get the latest "Beta" download from their site. It has been in beta for 4-5 years that I am aware of, I think the version is 3.10. Version 3.00 crashes a lot and I consider it unreliable.
The graphing function is hit or miss during playback. I export a comma-delimited file and analyze it in Excel instead. I tend to use this almost exclusively, since I can analyze any set of parameters I want at my leisure.
If you turn the car off before stopping Autotap, it will lock up. So stop Autotap and save your file and you will be fine.
There is no easy way to integrate a wideband into the data logging. I have read that a back door could be implemented by using an existing sensor line, but I have not tried it yet.
All in all, it is not too bad. For an OBDII LT1, it is the only option. But I would easily pay the extra $$ for a full suite such as HPTuners if it were available, because they are much more flexible and far more advanced in their data analysis.
And be sure and get the advanced parameters version. It is useless otherwise.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I still have to use it to capture freeze-frame data because it apparently will never be added to HPTUners.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Well If anybody is looking I have one for sale, it has never been used as my car is OBDI.
PM me is interested...