PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only real tuners please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys im stumped at this point im willing to bite the bullet and pay to rent a trailer and tow my car to get tuned up. Seems like every change I make the car does't like it and just doesnt want to run as far as the ve table.

I tried to smooth that out as well as some raf changes with the help of other members. Schantin thanks for the help man but if i could see what a real ms4 tune looked like or a close tune i think i would understand the numbers better.

edcmat-l1 hey thanks for rip man how many years experience in tuning? Well i just started 3 weeks ago i went from a car that would not run at all to a car that runs and starts. It my not be perfection, like a pro tuner like your self, if my tune was I would not be here ok mr perfect thanks for the help.

Last edited by mightybird; 05-20-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Give the poor guy a break At least he's trying to learn tuning on his own. We all had to start somewhere.

I've been helping his some. Basically told him the same as you (save turning LTFT's off)....but in a more polite fashion
Didn't think I was being too hard. I asked a question, why was he changing the VE when it wasn't in sd? And then I made a statement. Go back and read the help files. Oh, wow, I'm such an *******.

Originally Posted by Schantin
BTW, enjoying Brian's old gig?

It's working out great here. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mightybird

edcmat-l1 hey thanks for rip man how many years experience in tuning? Well i just started 3 weeks ago i went from a car that would not run at all to a car that runs and starts. It my not be perfection, like a pro tuner like your self, if my tune was I would not be here ok mr perfect thanks for the help.
Hey man, I didn't think it was a rip, at least not on your tuning. Your type maybe, but that's a different story.

BTW, it doesn't have much to do with experience. It's about reading and following directions. Almost all the info you need is right there in the help files.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Hey man, I didn't think it was a rip, at least not on your tuning. Your type maybe, but that's a different story.

BTW, it doesn't have much to do with experience. It's about reading and following directions. Almost all the info you need is right there in the help files.
Understandable i could have fixed my typing i tend to get worked up when there is something i dont understand and run my sentence longer then i should haha.
As far as the help files go you are right they are right there but no where does it say anything in around about way where i should be as far how close these numbers should be. Atleast from the serches i have made it all comes down to 1 problem.
1. I make a change close to where something should be and the car wont fire.

The car runs good on this file witch dont make sens and then i do something that should make it better and it wants to not idle or fire up or if i do get it to fire it serges so bad it dies.

Sorry if i came off as a **** stick.

Last edited by mightybird; 05-20-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instructions can't tell you what is close for numbers because the numbers will be unique to your setup.

If your changes are hurting the car, then you are either:
1. working with bad data/logs
2. adjusting the wrong areas
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Don't forget to reset your fuel trims while working on that VE table! This should be done every time you program, via the scanner tool.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Sorry if i came off as a **** stick.
It's cool.

You need to make sure you have failed the MAF if you are trying to make changes to the VE. If you haven't, your changes either won't work or be counter productive.

I would suggest running a couple data logs and posting them here. That way we can better help.

You'll need to include certain pids. TPS, MAP, STFTs (long terms should be turned off)dyn cyl air, dynamic airflow, timing, KR, temp, IAT, speed, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Read the scanner help files and figure out how to set up a VE histogram.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Im not in town right now with my lap top. Schantin would you happen to have that last log i sent you if so would you mind posting it other wise i will have to wait till i get back to post up that log.

I called up my tuner today looks like it will be awhile till i can get in but i need to rent a trailer or see if a buddy will lend me his till then im looking at 3 weeks to a month to play with it before it gets on the dyno and some street tuning.
So im down to keep playing with it when i get back in town i will start fresh from what i have done so far and work from there.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Well here is my log and my tune from the other night
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
BaseMS41.1.2.hpt (458.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Launching!

new changes i think idle is way better got rid of the mountain ve table but iat temps are way high and im seeing knock again hmmmmm
Attached Files
BaseMS4o's.hpt (458.0 KB, 496 views)
File Type: hpl
ms4o'slog.hpl (303.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by mightybird; 05-20-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: new tune
Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eagle02
Don't forget to reset your fuel trims while working on that VE table! This should be done every time you program, via the scanner tool.
When you're tuning the VE your fuel trims should be turned off, so.....this SHOULDN'T be done every time you program, via the scanner tool. Just thought I would clarify.

Best Regards.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Im done tuning ve im sticking with maff and injectors and timing im not that advanced i don't have a wide band yet to do a SD tune on it yet.
i am just trying to get it close enough to drive to chicago in a few weeks to get it tuned right unless you got some bright idea's ?

the tune i have now i plan to pull more timing and ad more injector
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the narrow bands to SD tune on part throttle and idle tuning, but you need a wideband to do WOT tuning.

If you want to do it this way, there is an instruction how to that works. Look up Cpig's HPT tuning guide, I got it off of the HP tuners forum. Listen to Ed, he knows what he's talking about.

Your MAF isn't failed in the tune which is shown how to do so in the instruction guides, but you go to Engine Diagnostics>Airflow>MAF Fail High and set that to 0. If it was failed, in your log the MAF would be 0. I don't have the license or I could try and help.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

Im done tuning ve im sticking with maff and injectors and timing im not that advanced i don't have a wide band yet to do a SD tune on it yet.
i am just trying to get it close enough to drive to chicago in a few weeks to get it tuned right unless you got some bright idea's ?

the tune i have now i plan to pull more timing and ad more injector
What injectors do you have in it? You don't tune injectors. Using them to adjust fuel is the wrong way to go about it.

Tuning the MAF or VE is basically the same process. You need to learn how to use your histograms. The only difference between the two (maf or SD) is which histogram to use. You can use your STFTs to dial in the part throttle of both. You don't need a wideband.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Launching!

i see that so really all i need to do is log it this should be interesting haha
Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching!

i think i have it pretty close now im not getting any knock out of the car fuel trims are staying in the blue i cleaned house on alot of the stuff was way to high in the timing tables off idle it would give me 3 degrees of knock soon as i hit the peddle cruising.

then would jump back in the blue up to 6000 rpm while testing today so what i did was smoothed out the mountain range of a ve table took away some timing and added fuel in the power enrichment.

the idle serge is gone for the most part one time today it did die on me after i started it up and had to restart it im waiting yet to see if i get any codes i may.
Attached Files
BaseMS41.22.hpt (458.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Launching!

here is my log tonight
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
drivetopatt'slog.hpl (457.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll get back on tomorrow and post my 2 cents.