Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does ABS INOP means?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does ABS INOP means?

I got this light while im racing at summit point? What does it means and how can i fix it?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I got this light while im racing at summit point? What does it means and how can i fix it?

That mean something in the brakes went out or came unpluged. Must likely came unpluged.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mshiznitzh
That mean something in the brakes went out or came unpluged. Must likely came unpluged.

But the breaks feels fine
Old 11-02-2003, 03:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
But the breaks feels fine
Is the ABS system still operable or can you lock up your tires? Just feeling fine would not mean that the brakes were not working but maybe your anti-lock system is not. Try a few hard stops, that should tell you if the ABS is really working.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a plug going from the axle to a plug in box with four holes. it should be just above the left sid of your axle. one of the plugs is your abs system. mine came undone once, you might want to check yours
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NiceTry
there is a plug going from the axle to a plug in box with four holes. it should be just above the left sid of your axle. one of the plugs is your abs system. mine came undone once, you might want to check yours

I think this could be it because I got the light after a massive wheel hop on very hard breaking. I felt the rear end was off the gorund. I was going down hill from a fast turn and i was doing 100-110mph or so and after that there was a 80-90 degree left turn. So i had to break very hard and turn the car while breaking(trying to catch a Caterham 7 LOL). Im sure at that time i had a weight distribution of 90% front 10% rear LOL. After that i got the light. With that wheel hop i guess the plug might got disconnected. I will have to check after i bleed my clutch since it doesnt disengage anymore now
Old 11-14-2003, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
Is the ABS system still operable or can you lock up your tires? Just feeling fine would not mean that the brakes were not working but maybe your anti-lock system is not. Try a few hard stops, that should tell you if the ABS is really working.

I wish i listened to u before...... I found out that the ABS isnt working at a ramp when my car went straight forward into the ditch(raining and Very cold surface). Thank god nothing happend to my car since i went into mud and grass. And thank god that the other two cars that came into the ditch behind me didnt hit me. The Cop said the turn is off camber and in the rain alot of cars go out WHY DONT THEY FIX IT THEN?!!!!

So if the ABS isnt working what could be the problem? I did check the plug above the rear end to see if its unplugged and it was fine.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

It comes from air or lack of pressure in the brake lines. I got it after changing my ABS Module, even after I bled the brakes TWICE. In fact, it's still on. I've done many hard stops, and it slips a little... gonna re-bleed all 4 lines on Sunday and go from there.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has come on after installing new MT Streets Saturday. I jacked up the rear end at the pumpkin on the axle. Any chance that I messed something up when I jacked up the car?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

It's a very comon problem. It can occur when the front wheels leave the ground, thus messing up the signal to the computer. It can occur when you have bigger tires on the rear than the front. Mine would always come up this way, when going to the track. But it always went away when I switched the tires back to stock & reset the computer (disconnect the battery).

I've had the problem also since I switched to the 12 bolt Moser. It looks like the wheel studs had washers on the back side, which put the head of the stud into the reluctor wheel. Tech 2 shows that it has a bad ABS module.

So, you problem could be:
cracked reluctor wheel (located on the end of the axle, by the brake plate)
bad sensor (goes inside a hole on the end of each axle 10 mm bolt)
Or any of the items listed above.

If it ends up being either, and you need a new one, contact me, I have new sensors and reluctor wheels, which I will no longer need, since I am going to a spool, and I will not be able to use ABS with that.

I would simply take it to the dealer & get the tech to scan it with a Tech2, you will know your problem immediately. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

I did find the problem with my car..... The front left tires sensor was teared apart. It happend at the track when i breaked really hard going down hill. Anyways i had to buy a new hub with a sensor to fix the problem. The damn thing cost 280 bucks.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did some more searching and it seems I have a case of the back tires being bigger than the front. I went back and put the stockers on and after about 3 miles the codes went away. thanks for everyones help.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont u have to have a tech 2 to bleed the abs system?

Quick Reply: What does ABS INOP means?