Sponsored by:

MAF tuning only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF tuning only?

Hi everybody,

A buddy of mine asked me to help tune his car for him (h/c/i/m6). Unfortuantly I do not have a lot of free time to dial in the VE using autoVE etc.
I have heard that a few tuners only touch the MAF table as the car is in this mode 98% of the time, and 100% when WOT. Is there an easy way to do this?
His car already idles pretty nice (cam has a 115 lsa), and I now have the LM2 on the way. I use EFILive V2, but would assume doing the same thing with hptuners would be very similar.

Thank you
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is for HP tuners but works for EFI Live also. This is for tuning the MAF without VE support.
This is information that I got from Greg Banish.

"If you have the fuel injector data correct, you can develop the MAF transfer function based on wideband a/f error. Just lock the car into open loop (set min temp for CL to max, 284) and force MAF based operation (min threshold for steady state to 0rpm, yours is probably about 2400rpms) and work from there.

Use the MAF AFR commanded to WB error % histogram, do the copy/past special to the MAF table, do by half when down to under 10% error correction.

You should be able to start with the stock MAF curve, but you'll quickly see the trend where it must be adjusted to get fueling in line. You will eventually develop the new MAF transfer function for that metering element in whatever inlet tube you've installed it. Once the MAF is right, you'll find that lots of other things just fall into place."
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that will work.

Would advise using a wideband and doing the histogram with AFR and LTFT's if inclined.

Always ideal to do the VE Table work, but with limited time and resources, that would be your best bet.

Right AFR, no knock. Sounds like a good plan.

..WeathermanShawn..