PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will LT Headers & y-pipe set a DTC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will LT Headers & y-pipe set a DTC?

Hey guys, a couple quick questions here:

I am going to order some LTs soon and I am pretty sure I will get American Racing Headers (ARH) with catted Y-pipe. Right now I have stock manifolds, stock y-pipe, high-flow Magnaflow cats, and SLP LM catback. I had a problem a while back with the rear O2 Sensors, but O2 Sensor Simulators fixed that.

So, no DTCs right now, but will LTs set a DTC/SES from the front O2 Sensors?. I am not worried about the ones behind the cats.

I intend on getting some sort of tuning afterward whether there is a code or not, but I am not sure what type. I probably will go with a laptop software suite (HP Tuners or something), but will a handheld tuner adjust the computer properly for a full exhaust system and make codes go away permanently?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

I am about to copy and paste this into the exhaust section also.

Edit: ok maybe not I can't find an "exhaust section" - but please reply nevertheless! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Does anybody know?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

It should not set the fronts.
But it seems like you have to replace the fronts with new 02s.
It seems the passenger side is alot further down stream and may cause a low reading normally a new one helps with this issue.

Not sure the hand held will help.
Hp tuners will do all you'll need.

Good luck hopefully you will not need the fronts.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

answered your PM
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Frequently, LT's will cause codes to be set for slow 02 response on the front 02's. This is because they don't get hot enough to function properly. When this code is set the car will run in open loop until the code is cleared. But it will likely come back a few miles later. Some have used different sensors to correct this, but others (such as myself) have not had success with the Vette 02's. At this point the options are either to tune it to run open loop all the time, or set this code to "not reported" with tuning software. I am not sure about the handhealds, I use EFI Live.

The other issue is fueling. LT's will likely cause your car to run lean. You might get a code for this as well. Some do and some don't. But in my opinion, it is best to tune your fueling after header install with a wideband in order to get AFR in line and to obtain the most possible gains from the headers.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, I probably will get some ARH LTs and see if any DTCs come up. Whether they do or don't I will get a tune. I just don't want any problems until I do get the tune.

I want my own software suite, but to save money, I might just get a professional tune to start out with, and if I get heads/cam some day or something like that, I'll look into my own tuning software.

Thanks again!