Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf Vs Sd Tuning Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripped427
Twelve pages of almost nothing (yes I went through the whole thread) My advice is don't bother..lol. No before and after dyno's ect... just blah, blah,, Yanks can't tune ect... Seems like the land down under would be a good place to sell the

My guess is that unless your making huge HP & TQ #'s the only reason for any differences would be in the PCM tune its self. Not coming from removing the MAF. Just my .02 cents
LOL,exactly.We just ran 2 3800 pound stock engine M6 LS1's into the 12 sec bracket on the weekend with standard mafs in place.No.1 included standard replacement street tyres - 12.90@106mph(21mph head wind killed mph) now the fastest street tyred stock M6 over here.No.2 included 26 x 8.5 inch hoosier slicks with 3.9 gears -12.68@106 (20mph head wind,slightly worn stock clutch)-(only did one pass & wasn't angry enough out of the hole,needs better gearing but can only get 3.9 for our IRS rear ends,cannot find a 24-25 inch slick to suit,maybe we'll use Nitto's,any ideas?Can't wait to screw some more out of this type of package but I need to sort the gearing/tyre hieght out to acheive their full potential.
Regards Glenn
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

26" m/t slicks are great.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
26" m/t slicks are great.
Thanks John,have you tried Hoosiers.What do think about our situation being limited to 3.9 rear end.Our cars are heavy too 3700-3800 pounds.I need a slick that isn't as tall to get an angrier launch but no one seems to do anything under 26 except for M/T et drag 22X8 for front wheel drive & we'd run out of RPM with those
Regards Glenn
Old 11-20-2003, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Launch
PSJ, cheers and keep up the good work
I didn't want to quote the entire post, but well said, I have just started down the mod path on my LS1, one of them will not be ditching the MAF, look at it from GM's view, if S.D EFI was soooo good, why would they fit an expensive MAF to the car, we all know car companies like to save every last cent where possible.
If my A4 gets into the 12's that will be fine (yeah right!!).
Go the MAF's
Old 11-20-2003, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Oh, I forgot, just before you assume all us Aussies are suckers, look at bit closer to home for such gem's as these......What a joke!!
I have seen these for the LS1!!.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Fetumpsh, cool. But what do you mean by?....... "If my A4 gets into the 12's that will be fine (yeah right!!)"

It's easy done

You on ls1.com.au ?
I should have been more specific, I don't want to open the motor up, yeah I know there's at least 1 unopened Monaro in the 12's but that's had more done to it than I am willing to do.
I haven't actually made it to the track to see what it would run as it is now, I suspect proably mid/high 13's.
I've done the exhaust (ncl extractors), T/B, CAI, PCM tune, actually, I just fitted an 85mm MAF to see what difference (if any) that is going to make, should get it on the dyno in the next day or so.
But I can see I might need to get the LS6 manifold on, and it's done 75K, and it rattles, uses oil (not too much), so it's probably not the healthiest LS1 out there....perhaps last on the list is some 3.73's.

Yes I am on ls1.com.au, I have a different name on there, but this forum is much better, not as many ego's to overcome.
Attached Thumbnails Maf Vs  Sd Tuning Debate-bigmaf.jpg  
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Fetumpsh, cool. But what do you mean by?....... "If my A4 gets into the 12's that will be fine (yeah right!!)"

It's easy done

You on ls1.com.au ?
Sure can An A4 with a good converter, decent exhaust, pcm tuning and traction will run a 12 easily. My setup with stock diff gears, tune and a SS3800 converter ran 13.13 on street tyres with heaps of wheel spin. Good traction would have ensure a high 12 easily.

I'm sure my new setup will see a high 11
Old 11-20-2003, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I see some 26" ET Drags on their site....

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html

All things being equal I think M/T's are better than Hoosier slicks.

Originally Posted by AUSSIE TUNER
Thanks John,have you tried Hoosiers.What do think about our situation being limited to 3.9 rear end.Our cars are heavy too 3700-3800 pounds.I need a slick that isn't as tall to get an angrier launch but no one seems to do anything under 26 except for M/T et drag 22X8 for front wheel drive & we'd run out of RPM with those
Regards Glenn

Quick Reply: Maf Vs Sd Tuning Debate