Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail In Tune / Long Tubes Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Mail In Tune / Long Tubes Question

I getting ready to install a set of long tubes on my car with a ORY. In the process I will be deleting the AIR system as well. My question is...Hawks Performance said I could send them my EMC and they would "tune it" to basicaly turn off the SES lights that will be thrown. OK...my question is if they are just turning off those codes there is really nothing changing except the lights just arent coming on...correct? SO what would the difference in that and just removing the bulb from the cluster be? Other than not have the use of the SES light at all. I know this is a half *** way to do it but I dont drive or race the car at all....it is a 100% trailered show car. If blocking or removing the SES light is basicaly the same thing and wont hurt anything else its just easier and cheaper...at least until I can get the car dyno tuned. BUT I want to be sure thats a viable route to take.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about the crappiest hack of a shortcut that I have seen suggested on this site.

At any rate, if you block the SES you will have NO WAY to know if you car has any other issues and if your state does plug-in OBDII testing you will fail.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard that if you take it to a local tuner, alot of times they will turn off those codes for you for free, or very cheap to get your business. FYI
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
That's about the crappiest hack of a shortcut that I have seen suggested on this site.

At any rate, if you block the SES you will have NO WAY to know if you car has any other issues and if your state does plug-in OBDII testing you will fail.
Well you dont have to be a dick about it...I wasnt suggestion anything, I was asking a question. Which you did not answer. What does tuning the car to turn the lights off do other than turn the lights off?

We have NO INSPECTION here...so don't care about passing inspection and all you KNOW that blocking the SES light or removing the bulb has NOTHING to do with a OBDII reader reading a code thrown by the car. You may not be aware of it instantly by the SES coming on but there is certainly A WAY to see if the car has any issues....the exact same way you would if the light was on and you could see it. You were recommended by several others but from the tone of your answer I wont do business with you. One of your compitors PMed me with the info I asked for and was very helpful.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Well you dont have to be a dick about it...I wasnt suggestion anything, I was asking a question. Which you did not answer. What does tuning the car to turn the lights off do other than turn the lights off?

We have NO INSPECTION here...so don't care about passing inspection and all you KNOW that blocking the SES light or removing the bulb has NOTHING to do with a OBDII reader reading a code thrown by the car. You may not be aware of it instantly by the SES coming on but there is certainly A WAY to see if the car has any issues....the exact same way you would if the light was on and you could see it. You were recommended by several others but from the tone of your answer I wont do business with you. One of your compitors PMed me with the info I asked for and was very helpful.

That's cool good luck. I wasn't being a dick (or it didn't sound that way as I typed it). I was just pointing out that for a super nice car (show car) that tearing up a piece of useful diagnostic equipment is a hack. It is.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as stated above not the ideal way ro solve the issue...but to answer your question.....no it is not the same......some cars have issues with the front o2s not switching properly...how are you gonna know this without an ses light.....that little aggervating light can be very helpfull....

before i started tuning my var myself i always sent my pcm to WAIT4ME he is a sponsor and does great work at a great price...he can even send you an already tuned pcm to eliminate down time...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the right thing and get the proper codes deleted. When I do it for people, it's only $40.00.

Only downside for a mail tune is that your car is down for a few days but shouldn't bother you since its a show car.