PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a hypertech programmer overwrite current tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will a hypertech programmer overwrite current tune?

I bought a basic hypertech programmer just so i could change tire-sizes, gear ratios, and fan temps without finding a local tuner or sending away my pcm. That's all i bought it for. I went to program fan temps for my 160 thermostat and it makes you go through a bunch of options and either choose change or leave stock. If i choose (NO) Will it return that option to stock tuning or will it just leave it be???

Thanks

JAmes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty sure it asks you if you want to install tuning. I would say no and just install your other changes.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

I believe the choices are wither (1) Leave stock or (2) Change. I'm just concerned that if i choose leave stock it will re-program that choice to stock configs.

Originally Posted by JASON11WS6
Pretty sure it asks you if you want to install tuning. I would say no and just install your other changes.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

anyone?????
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

I'm 90% sure leave stock means it won't change your tune. The only way it would have the "stock tune" in the box is if hypertech tune is in your car. If that makes sense. So leave it stock. If you want to be 100% sure then call hypertech. Your best bet is to sell that hypertech crap and find someone with efi live or hp tuners to help you out. I'd do it for the cost of a vin number from efi live which is a $100. So no charge from me but that's only if you are in the chicago burbs.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I understand your question, I believe the answer is yes. In order to reprogram, it has to reflash the entire program. It is not possible for it to change one parameter without rewriting the entire program.

And I don't think it is capable of pulling the factory program, altering one parameter, and reflashing.

It is going to build a "custom" flash from your inputs to the pre-loaded data that it comes with. So if you have a custom program and try to alter one parameter and leave the rest alone you won't get what you want and everything else will be returned to stock.

I am pretty sure this is how it works but not positive.

However, it does give you the option to return the car to stock because it does pull the existing program prior to reflashing. So all might not be lost if you tried it and it didn't work.

Quick Reply: Will a hypertech programmer overwrite current tune?