PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plz help car won't start,ZERO codes!! Video in..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help car won't start,ZERO codes!! Video in..

I ran a scanner on it and it shows ZERO codes !!! WTF , if it was an ignition issue wouldn't it at least throw a code?

I ran it a little hard last night but I don't know if that had anything to do with it, it's my car in the signature. All of the sudden it won't start now, not only that but it won't jump start either, so no spark?

Few details maybe you guys can direct me better :

No fuel problem as I can hear the pump kicking on when ignition is turned on. no battery problem. There's enough air going in, but I think it isn't sparking, correct me if you think I'm wrong after listening to the sound in the video.

Now to the Spark : I got MSD opti spark on it, and MSD ignition coil, spark plugs and wires are almost brand new so there's no problem there, but what else could cause it not to start and not even when trying to jump start it ?!

My shop is a half hour away so all my tools are down there, I thought to ask you guys, what's ur opinion?

Here's a short video of how it sounds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEi1cLnewk

Comments and suggestions are greately appreciated.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

HMMMM, GOOD NEWS BUT I STILL SUSPECT SOMETHING.....

After scanning for codes, I checked the schrader valve for fuel, and sure enough there was fuel.
Next, checked for spark and here's what happened :

I pulled a spark plug with the wire on the driver side and asked the wife to crank it, it STARTED. But here's the thing :

I DID NOT try to start it after checking and having some fuel shot out of the schrader valve, so I don't know if that did something to make it start. However, it started while the spark plug was out and after doing these two checks together.

After that I cranked it few times and it started 3-4 times no problem , with the plug off and then with the plug and wire back on. (Right now I'm writing you guys but will go back to see if it starts again).

What "was" the problem and how come it started now after doing these two things? Trying to find if problem solved !!!

Thanks guys.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

More details :

Now it starts once out of ten times that I tried, and when it starts the first time, the 2-3 times you try after that time it starts in all of them, but then again it goes back to not starting and no spark. ******* opti isn't it ?

The last it started I kept it running for two minutes, as soon as I got in the car to drive it to my shop it started shutting of till it died, ******* opti or not?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Teching In

sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Have you hooked a gauge up to the fuel line to see if you are getting good pressure. Pressure should come up and not change while cranking.

Same thing happened to me with my Tahoe, Only way it starts EVERY time is with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up permanently.weird..
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

My money is on the Opti Spark. My friends 95 Impala SS did the same exact thing. It would start 1 out of 10 times. Then it finally gave out. I changed it for him a few weeks ago and it runs perfect now. I ended up finding that the oil seal around the water pump drive shaft was leaking down on the Opti. I changed that also. It was actually harder to change than the Opti. Good luck with it. One thing you can check is for corrosion of the coil wire. My 95 Z had this problem and I would have to clean it from time to time.