PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Can you flash to a stock OS with EFIlive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you flash to a stock OS with EFIlive?

Ive got a PCM that cant be read with HPtuners since the PCM was modified with EFI live, I need to get the tuner to flash it back to a stock OS so HP tuners can read it. I was under the impression that the only way to do that was with a tech II? If he flashes back to a stock OS will HP tuners be able to read it or am I still stuck with a PCM thats tied to EFI live?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Ive got a PCM that cant be read with HPtuners since the PCM was modified with EFI live, I need to get the tuner to flash it back to a stock OS so HP tuners can read it. I was under the impression that the only way to do that was with a tech II? If he flashes back to a stock OS will HP tuners be able to read it or am I still stuck with a PCM thats tied to EFI live?
Ask the tuner to unlock the PCM. I use both HPTuners and EFILIve and easily switch between the two all the time with no problems. As long as the PCM isn't locked when they flash it with either tool, it can be read/modified by the other tool.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, he said he didnt lock it.... I didnt think HP tuner could read custom OS's from anyone but HP tuners?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmm, he said he didnt lock it.... I didnt think HP tuner could read custom OS's from anyone but HP tuners?
That would be correct, you didn't state you were using a custom OS. If this is the case than it will have to be flashed back to a standard (non custom) OS to modify it.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well see im not sure if its custom but Im assuming it is since he swears its not "locked". If I can get him to just "tune" the stock OS then we should be able to get HP tuners to read and write into it?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't HPT just flash their OS over the Top. EFI LIVE sure can flash over the top of a HPT Custom OS.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm I dont think so since I can scan it but when I try to read the tune itself it says it cant connect...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
EFI LIVE sure can flash over the top of a HPT Custom OS.
Not to my knowledge they can't, tech2 can't even write over one of our custom operating systems.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
Not to my knowledge they can't, tech2 can't even write over one of our custom operating systems.
But as long as he reflashes with the stock tune, even tho he did it with EFIlive or LS1 edit, HP tuners can read and write over it?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure??

This aside, I seem to recall writing a stock image over a PCM or two that had an EFIL custom OS. Just get a proper OEM file, update the VIN and write entire...

Maybe I am dreaming but it seems that I have done it in the past more than once.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
You sure??

This aside, I seem to recall writing a stock image over a PCM or two that had an EFIL custom OS. Just get a proper OEM file, update the VIN and write entire...

Maybe I am dreaming but it seems that I have done it in the past more than once.
I dont know how you would be able to since we cant even access the tune, I.E pull it off and look at it.. You try connecting to it and it acts like there isnt power turned on but you can scan it for codes and data log no problem....
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPT doesn't read EFILive COS and EFILive doesn't read HPT COS.
If the PCM is not locked you can overwrite the OS and go from there.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoemike
HPT doesn't read EFILive COS and EFILive doesn't read HPT COS.
If the PCM is not locked you can overwrite the OS and go from there.
Thanks! thats what I needed to know. I didnt want to argue with the guy untill I knew for sure that I could write of a non locked noncustom OS.

Last edited by Tricked-Out-Toy; 07-14-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
You sure??

As stated you can't write over OUR custom operating systems, not sure about efilibes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

I dont know how you would be able to since we cant even access the tune, I.E pull it off and look at it..
Write entire doesn't even TRY to read it out, it just erases the PCM and loads a binary image.

Though I take Bill's word for it, I have a car in a week or two with an EFIL 3 bar file on it. I already have a replacement PCM loaded up for the car with an HPT 3bar OS, but for my own sanity I will try and overwrite the EFIL setup first and see where we get. I may be back to tell you guys that it is confirmed, I'm going crazy
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

As stated you can't write over OUR custom operating systems, not sure about efilibes
From what I remember, this is correct. I know it can be fixed, but you have to send the PCM away to have it done. I know Jesse Bubb offers this service.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some research and Bill is right. EFI LIVE wont be able to write over a HPT COS. If you flash it back to a stock one with HPT then it will be good to go.

What does HPT do to cause this. Reading the PCM I can understand due to the os not being known. But doing a Full Flash to just overwrite it seems odd.