Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine management for LS6 with NOS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine management for LS6 with NOS

Sorry about not asking this earlier....I'm new here.

I am looking for an engine management system to run my 1999 LS6 crate engine with strictly bolt on speed items but I do want to run nitrous. I was thinking of buying a $100 factory computer on eBay with a $150 eBay wiring harness...how do I best control using nitrous? Not looking to add 300 HP...just a good 75-125 shot...my goal is to keep the engine internals stock and make around 500 HP total....any suggestions? THX
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

Engine management system? A PCM (computer) or are you asking about software to program your car? I am assuming software to program a computer as I believe the crates come with a PCM, no? IF software - www.hptuners.com HANDS DOWN!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
Engine management system? A PCM (computer) or are you asking about software to program your car? I am assuming software to program a computer as I believe the crates come with a PCM, no? IF software - www.hptuners.com HANDS DOWN!
EFI LIVE actually has an N20 Custom Operating System.. Hardly hands down.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

jepp, Efilive would do the job..
Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Default Engine management

Thanks everyone....actually your suggestions are exactly what I am looking for. I've built a ton of muscle cars in my life but am very old school...every one of them was carb'd and I know little about electronic fuel management. My original thought was to buy a factory computer and a basic harness online ..basically for simplicity and low cost and my lack of experience. However I am not a complete idiot (my wife might debate that) and I am willing to learn...I also don't want to leave any HP on the table as I add basic bolt-ons.....

Thanks again for the direction guys!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 504 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51
Thanks everyone....actually your suggestions are exactly what I am looking for. I've built a ton of muscle cars in my life but am very old school...every one of them was carb'd and I know little about electronic fuel management. My original thought was to buy a factory computer and a basic harness online ..basically for simplicity and low cost and my lack of experience. However I am not a complete idiot (my wife might debate that) and I am willing to learn...I also don't want to leave any HP on the table as I add basic bolt-ons.....

Thanks again for the direction guys!
If you are truly an old school carb guy, you will be shocked at how little timing modern heads require. I know you didn't ask this question, but it will come up. Don't be surprised if your motor makes the best power with timing in the very low 20* range, as opposed to old-school big blocks that may have needed over 40.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Default Timing

Thanks GTech..good to know. These are the things that I don't know and the people here at this site are great...