PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Coils

First post here. Sent over by the guys at the GTM area of FFCobra.

Talk on another forum reminded me that it was time for me to start the rotary bridgeport up (the engine not the mill) and in so trying to, it fouled the plugs rather quickly. This doesn't usually happen as I have built a direct fire system using a Haltech controller and LS1 Denso coil packs that deliver a TON of spark. Anyway, long story short two of the coil packs are no good. They have burn through spots on the ignitor area right above the ground pin in the connector.

Few questions.

1) Anyone else had this issue?
2) In searching the internet I find that the low referrence pin sometimes is suggested to be grounded and sometimes not. I used mine grounded. Any comments?
3) Any known source that is reasonable price wise? My local dealer wants $85 per coil!!
4) If anyone has done a custom hookup for these, what voltage are you using?

This may have to do with a spike from my 200 AMP alternator when the regulator fried, but trying to eliminate anything else as well.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys. This forum is everything I was told it was.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crash33
Thanks for the help guys. This forum is everything I was told it was.
Lol. Your problem is somewhat unique to the users here because most of us still use the stock PCM, harness, coils and connectors which are a proven reliable and durable setup. Rarely do these coils fails.

1) Anyone else had this issue?
Check the Conversions & Hybrid section here. I know some of import owners like Audi and Mazda use this coil for an upgrade, maybe one those forums might be able to help you.

2) In searching the internet I find that the low referrence pin sometimes is suggested to be grounded and sometimes not. I used mine grounded. Any comments?
The pin connector is different for some of the coils. What exact coil are you using? Depending on the actual version (97-05), I may be able to get you a pin layout from the GM Manual itself.

3) Any known source that is reasonable price wise? My local dealer wants $85 per coil!!
$85 is way too high for one coil. Check the classifieds here or on ebay for a better price. Stick to the OEM AC Delco coils, not the China stuff.

4) If anyone has done a custom hookup for these, what voltage are you using?
Definitely a question for someone who has done this before.

This may have to do with a spike from my 200 AMP alternator when the regulator fried, but trying to eliminate anything else as well.

It's hard to diagnose eletrical problems over the internet, but based on this comment "They have burn through spots on the ignitor area right above the ground pin in the connector" I would assume this could be the case.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a goods link that may help.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Hey, thanks a lot. That Megasquirt article has lots of useful info.

I had given up on this site, but you really came through for me. Thanks!