PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

check engine light = rich?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Question check engine light = rich?

Hey I didnt really know where to post this.. My service engine soon light came on the other day. I had it read at the local part store.. it said "Rich on bank 1 and bank 2". Car runs exactly the same and stuff.. just has the light on.. I had them clear it but it came back on today. I have a chip that the guy before me put in the car but no actual "tune". im thinking maybe the chip is causing it but im not sure. Anything I should worry about? im planning on getting a real tune in a few weeks so it will probably take care of that anyways.. just wondering if its serious.
Old 08-16-2009 | 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of "chip" do you have? There aren't any physical chips for these type PCMs. I'd definitely look at getting rid of it and getting a real tune. It could just cause more problems down the road.
Old 08-17-2009 | 12:14 AM
On The Tree

its a jet chip. and yeh apparently there is its called a "piggy-back" chip in that it plugs into the pcm under the hood..
Old 08-17-2009 | 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

How long have you had the car with the chip in it? If you've had it a while I wouldn't think the chip just now made the car run rich. You could always unplug it and run it for a while and see if the light comes on. If there is a mechanical problem with the motor you will want to fix that before taking it in for a tune. Check your air filter and clean the maf sensor, those are 2 simple problems that could set those codes.
Old 08-17-2009 | 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Question

how do you clean the maf sensor?