PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used hypertech tuners: Can it be used on a different car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Used hypertech tuners: Can it be used on a different car?

I have asked this question before, but need some more clarification. I 've got a used hypertech (black box) that was used for a '99 SS 6spd. I want to use it on a stock '02 WS6 A4 with exhaust. I just plugged it in, and one of the first things the programmer said was it was for 1999 LS1's (copyright said for 1997-2000). It then went through it's system checks, then was verifying the VIN for match, which it didn't. The programmer showed "This VIN does not match the previous vehicle's VIN." My questions are: First, is this programmer made to go up to an '02? Second, how do I wipe out the memory of the programmer so I can use it, if at all possible? Third, do I need to call hypertech and if so, are they gonna give me a lot of **** because it's a used programmer and they want me to buy a new one or will tell me what I need to do? Thanks for any and everyone's help on this one.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in order to clear it to work on another vehicle, you need to plug it into whichever it's already been used on and remove the hypercrap programming.

And I'm pretty sure they are year dependent (they wouldn't know what a 2002 operating system looks like when they designed it in 99)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

What if the car that it was used on originally has a complete custom tune from another shop and the hypertech isn't in there to begin with. Do I basically have a useless box?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I beleive they are year dependant but "Ive Heard" you can put them back to stock.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Mine got locked to another vehicle when I loaned it. this was many years ago but hypertech told me I can send it to them for reprogramming for a fee. Forget what that was.

Quick Reply: Used hypertech tuners: Can it be used on a different car?