PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed catch can. advance timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default installed catch can. advance timing?

to those of you who have tuned a car after throwing in a catch can, how much timing were you able to add (if any)?

i tried searching around for a bit on this one all throughout ls1tech and even ricer forums on google. the general consensus is that with the catch can ridding oil from the intake, you can run more timing or at least get rid of random pinging from what you thought was a solid tune.

lately, i've been trying to get my WOT tune nailed down. everything is fine and runs great at 26 degrees of timing with 12.4-12.7 AFR. however, sometimes i'll get pinging at WOT (and it is audible) whenever DA, ambient temp and load is all pretty much the same as when it usually doesn't (on the same tank of gas too).
At WOT between .74 and .78 g/cyl, i'm usually good with 24 degrees of timing at about 4800 RPM and 26 degrees above 5200. i could advance this timing by 1-2 degrees and be fine 25% of the time and maybe 50% of the time when going up a hill.
i'm thinking that some of this random pinging has to do with oil in the intake.

i just put a catch can in and i have about 250miles on it. there's about 1-2 table spoons of oil in it and no residue in the lines that come out of it - it is working. i've already started to notice that most of the random pinging has gone away. after i get the intake/tb all cleaned out and do a few WOT runs on nitrous, i'm hoping to have all the carbon deposits and oil out of the picture.

i don't tune on a dyno, but the car seems like it pulls better at 28 degrees.