PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf vs speed density

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a SD tune this spring and have had zero issues with it. ...well unless you think dropping your ET is an issue.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bonestock99
02*c5 if you look at the op it doesn't say anywhere that he did not give him the option that he would only do it in SD. Therefore it sounds like the tuner was giving him an option or an opinion. Thats just how I read into it... Besides he may be the most badass SD tuner in the world..?? Maybe NOT.
When a tuner tells me and I quote;

Originally Posted by mknight759
I talked to the man who will be tuning my new engine he was talking something about doing away with the maf and using speed density
That tells me one of two things;

1. He is not familiar in working with a MAF system and he would rather have him do Speed Density.
2. He does NOT know how to work with a MAF system and he wants this kid to do away with his MAF and go to speed density.

I would first ask him why. Depending on his answer then I would make my decision to let this guy work on my car. But for a "tuner" to out right tell you, because from his post it wasn't like the guy was giving him a choice, I would turn and RUN if a tuner told me to get rid of my MAF and go to speed density. There is a reason why every single car that is out on the streets today I say since 98 for GM and 89 for Ford have been changed over to MAF. A whole industry can not be wrong.

What say you!

Either way there is a point in time where you have to make a decision. Like I said I have had 2 speed density system cars and it is not what it is all cracked up to be. Ls1 engines run great on the MAF system and to tell some one to change your whole fuel/air metering system is insane. No two ways about it.

I say this ask all your buddies who have a MAF system and tell them to change over to Speed Density and see what they tell you.

Hit me up when you get all their answers.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have speed density with 02 feedback in my part throttle tables. I have a 2 bar turbo setup. If i were not forced induction i would do a maf setup
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ENGINE MANAGEMENT: Prototype speed density, tuned by GMPP

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ls7/index.html
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
When a tuner tells me and I quote;

That tells me one of two things;

1. He is not familiar in working with a MAF system and he would rather have him do Speed Density.
2. He does NOT know how to work with a MAF system and he wants this kid to do away with his MAF and go to speed density.

I would first ask him why. Depending on his answer then I would make my decision to let this guy work on my car. But for a "tuner" to out right tell you, because from his post it wasn't like the guy was giving him a choice, I would turn and RUN if a tuner told me to get rid of my MAF and go to speed density. There is a reason why every single car that is out on the streets today I say since 98 for GM and 89 for Ford have been changed over to MAF. A whole industry can not be wrong.

What say you!

Either way there is a point in time where you have to make a decision. Like I said I have had 2 speed density system cars and it is not what it is all cracked up to be. Ls1 engines run great on the MAF system and to tell some one to change your whole fuel/air metering system is insane. No two ways about it.

I say this ask all your buddies who have a MAF system and tell them to change over to Speed Density and see what they tell you.

Hit me up when you get all their answers.
Can you not read? That doesn't say that it is all his tuner would do. He just said he was talking about it. I think you're putting words in someones mouth.

I've tuned a couple of cars that I have talked about doing away with the MAF and running SD. Did I insist that it was the only way no, but I let them know their options. I usually always say stick the the stock MAF to the point that it really becomes a restricion, then instead of wasting a ton of money on a bigger one (which needs to be tuned for anyway) just do away with the MAF and go SD.

We don't even really know this guys setup. Maybe there are some space constraints in using an LS1 in an S10 where just running without a MAF would be much easier.

If he knew how to tune the VE tables and did not know how to tune the MAF he would be an idiot. I'm sure that's not the case. Whoever in this thread said that tuning the VE tables was easier than the MAF is also an idiot. Tuning them isn't really any different but it is usually quicker to get the MAF dialed in.

Is there a reason why 2 struggling car companies to use MAFs? I don't know. Are there still cars made to day without them? Yes and some are much more refined and sophisticated than GM or Ford.

You want him to ask his buddies (who are probably clueless about tuning, much like yourself) to see what their opinions are about SD tuning? I personally don't care what his friends have to say. I'd rather hear the tuners thoughts on it.

You've had 2 SD cars? Are they factory SD cars? Are they half *** SD tuning attempts? Are they cars that are even relevant to this thread? If you got a good tuner to give you a MAF tune and an SD tune (both closed loop) I bet you would not likely know the difference.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

well i went and talked with the tuner today and we put together an intake system after looking at it we are going the sd route the only way to really mount the maf is on a 90deg bend or have 2 reducers i cant get the 4 in pipe in there. gonna have to neck it down at the tb to 3in to route my intake system so it will fit under the hood without having to move anthing else the tuner told me it was my choice that he could do the same thing with both setups i know he deals alot with turbos and has good sucess so i will let him do his thing and see how it turns out
Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mknight759
well i went and talked with the tuner today and we put together an intake system after looking at it we are going the sd route the only way to really mount the maf is on a 90deg bend or have 2 reducers i cant get the 4 in pipe in there. gonna have to neck it down at the tb to 3in to route my intake system so it will fit under the hood without having to move anthing else the tuner told me it was my choice that he could do the same thing with both setups i know he deals alot with turbos and has good sucess so i will let him do his thing and see how it turns out
good luck it will turn out great, you made the final decision on your car the way it should be, keep us posted with numbers and vids.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If tuned properly, one would never know the difference.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Ed,

I would assume you mean CLSD? How do you combat the issue of IAT so wildly affecting fueling?

I am not sure how it is on the Camaro, but I recall my GTO's fueling in speed density would always go way lean to high IAT despite it only being 70 degrees out
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Ed,

I would assume you mean CLSD? How do you combat the issue of IAT so wildly affecting fueling?

I am not sure how it is on the Camaro, but I recall my GTO's fueling in speed density would always go way lean to high IAT despite it only being 70 degrees out
Easiest thing is move the IAT so it doesn't heat soak. Next best thing is cyl charge temp bias and filter. Although you will still have some drift if the IAT heat soaks.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
+1

Will there ever be enough of these threads (or the guys running around talking smack about SD because of what they heard...)?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Agreed... And comparing an 88 mustang to a friggin ls1!!???

Quick Reply: maf vs speed density