Sponsored by:

Ran through puddle of water - ELECTRIC ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran through puddle of water - ELECTRIC ISSUES

I have an LS1 Camaro, Automatic, STOCK:

I ran through a pretty deep body of water and my check engine light popped on. Car got a little weak, but once i escaped the water within a few seconds it was back to full power.

Now, 2 weeks later the car died on me while driving. I checked the battery charge, and that doesn't seem to be the issue. Checked with my van's jumper cables hooked up to the car. Still no fix.

The car's initial start up is extremely slow (much more than its usual roaring start). AND I seem to be losing idle. It's sitting at 400 rpms ATTATCHED to jumper cables. It gets up to its regular idle of 700-800 after a good amount of charge HOWEVER the instant throttle is given (any amount), it reverts back to a struggling 400 and slowly climbs back up.

After leaving on the cables for about 15 minutes... Hit the throttle. NO PROBLEM. It GHOSTLY fixed itself.

I'm planning on a long-term trip, and would like to make sure my car is safe to drive.

PS: What is the car's voltage level supposed to be at idle?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

CAR RUNNING:

voltage read about 13.10 on the jumpers

now reading between 11.90 and 12 off of the jumpers

CAR OFF: 12.06 (higher than while running, and after)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
CAR RUNNING:

voltage read about 13.10 on the jumpers

now reading between 11.90 and 12 off of the jumpers

CAR OFF: 12.06 (higher than while running, and after)
There's at least part of your problem.

The voltage at the battery with the car running should be 13.5-14.5V. That indicates that the alternator is charging the battery. You're at 11.9-12V, which means the battery is damn near 100% discharged, and the charging system is doing nothing.

With the car off, you should be at 12.6V. That indicates a fully charged battery.

Start by diagnosing your charging issue, repair the problem, and then see if the battery will need to be replaced as well.

Start with your fuses first, its possible that you just blew a fuse when you went through the water, which would cause your charging system to not work, and consequently kill your battery.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

i know its gonna be a piain in the ****. but water might be trapped somewhere in a wire loom.

i washed my motor once, and when i say once, ill never do it again. water got into the TB wire loom ,(ETC). check engine lights, reduced power, car would barely run.

just gonna cost you time, a hair dryer (girlfriends), a razor blade and some electrical tape. take every plug off (spark plug wires, Fuel injector, Coil, alternator,, one at a time, and a hit it with the hair dryer.

also make sure for some reason your air filter isn't water logged.

all i got.

-Carl