PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Came code sensor code keeps popping up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Came code sensor code keeps popping up?

Ok background on the setup, this is a stock 2002 engine in a 82 corvette. The harness was a LS3 harness and uses a LS1 PCM, the cam and crank sensor WERE changed for the LS1 setup on the Harness. However the engine did start up befor this was done so I guess it will run with out it.

The issue is even AFTER the wires were redone correctly the cam sensor code still keeps popping up.

The symptoms of the engine are as follows.

1. Has to turn over multiple times to fire (this is a tell tell sign of a bad cam sensor)

2. The engine runs PERFECT up until high RPMS and at Wot it loses power big time.

3. THE TACH STILL WORKS!!

This is a custom harness modified to work with my 82, the computer was flashed and tuned according to the setup as well. The car drives like a beast even with the cam problem.

Thoughts? I know it could obviously be the cam sensor, but any other things it could be? i thought if the cam sensor went bad the tach would not work but it is a aftermarket autometer and the harness was built to work with autometer guages
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you 1000% sure the wiring to the cam sensor is correct?

Have you verified the timing with a timing light? High rpm breakup sounds more like crank sensor then cam sensor to me.

Have you verified the cam sensor and crank sensor counts line up?

I know this is probably like putting the toothpaste back into the tube, but why not just run an 98 harness with a 98 PCM?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

problem solved, there was a funky pin in the connector for some reason it was causing the problem
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

the 2002 pcm came with the engine, the original wiring harness was going to be utalized however.

when it came to the autometer gauges it would have to be modified for those gauges, my mechanic already had a made up harness using the autometer gauges he pulled out of his own car, but his 82 vette had a ls3.

the harness are praticly the same exept the locations for cam and crank, he knew about this issue but forgot about it. everything works like a charm however.

Also the injector harness does not matter since they are swappable between harnesses as well, just pop off the ls3 injector harness and pop on the ls1s

Originally Posted by NoGo
Are you 1000% sure the wiring to the cam sensor is correct?

Have you verified the timing with a timing light? High rpm breakup sounds more like crank sensor then cam sensor to me.

Have you verified the cam sensor and crank sensor counts line up?

I know this is probably like putting the toothpaste back into the tube, but why not just run an 98 harness with a 98 PCM?