PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Stuff 3 HELP...

Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Stuff 3 HELP...

Well I have had problems connecting to my BS3 box since day one. It was working intermittently.
So now...

We are not getting any spark and no fuel when trying to start the car!? I changed the crank and cam sensors thinking maybe that was it and had no luck! I am beginning to think that my Big Stuff finally crapped out on me. Is there anything else I should look for!? I can't even connect to my Big Stuff at this point to see if any of the parameters are reading.

Thanks...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the key on, are you hearing the pump in the tank prime like normal or do you have external pumps on a switch?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
When you turn the key on, are you hearing the pump in the tank prime like normal or do you have external pumps on a switch?
The external pump primes... no switch... it just comes on when I turn the key. I talked to Kurt Urban and he said that the pump may still prime even if BS is dead!?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Well the car fired up and was idling fine... And then it just shut off. It didn't lose rpm or anything, just shut off! So I started it again and it idled for 2-3 minutes then shut off again. Well i tried to start it one more time and it just backfired. Tried again... Another backfire. I think something is internally wrong with the BS3. I have a very experienced BS3 tuner, so I am confident it is not the tuner. It almost seems like the BS3 just works when it wants to and then stops randomly!?

Good new is that when it was idling the motor sounds fine and was idling great, until it shut off obviously!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you are using the BS3 to prime the fuel pumps.

If you can get it to idle again for another 2 or 3 minutes, I would use the "replay" log feature and log it. This logs all the sensors and will detect a problem. You can call and talk to Jon@ BS3 as well and he can sync up to your ECU from his computer as well and help diagnose the problem for you.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds basic but has the timing arrangement been 100% verified? If so, what method did you use?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

I can't get it to fire again... I am going to pull the BS3 unit out tonight so I can ship it out tomorrow. I am only wasting time by not pulling and sending it. I guess I will send my laptop in for repairs while the BS3 unit is gone!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

my bs3 is starting to act up too. only mine isn't communicating. the com's come in and go out right away. I think it is a loose ground or power or something like that. I don't think mine is fried because the car seems to run just fine. weird
Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowmaro98
my bs3 is starting to act up too. only mine isn't communicating. the com's come in and go out right away. I think it is a loose ground or power or something like that. I don't think mine is fried because the car seems to run just fine. weird
Well mine ended up being to the point where it was sent all the way back to Germany or something to be worked on. I STILL DO NOT HAVE IT BACK!!! I ended up buying a new one to use, but we ran into tons of problems putting it back together and I am now upgrading a bunch of stuff.

Hopefully it works with the new BS3 box and hopefully I have my other one back soon so I can atleast sell the damn thing!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 AM
9 Second Club

I talked with a guy at big stuff and he said if the coms are coming in and out, that the ECU is fine. It has something to do with either:
1. the cable between the ECU and the lap top ... or
2. there is a driver conflict on my laptop.

I haven't touched the laptop, so I am going to look at the cable to the ECU and the connection to the battery. Everything worked just fine when I parked it last fall.

When i connect and start communicating, some of the graphs are all weird and the numbers are all messed up. Sometimes it will not allow me to load a new calibration. Other times it works just fine.

when i had it on the dyno the other day (this is when this all started) we tried 3 different laptops and it was doing this on all the laptops. when we opened the hardware configuration tab, all the numbers made no sense. it was saying 6 cylinder, and all the numbers that were in there made no sense. it was like anything i opened was all scrambled up. weird.

today I was playing around for like 10 mins and everything looked just fine, went in the house for a second came back out and noticed all the numbers were messed up. So I loaded a new (old) calibration and it all seemed to be fine. then i loaded back the old one and same thing, all messed up again. It's like the coms come in and out randomly and the numbers and graphs get all messed up intermittently. I can't explain it. Anyways, i was told by Big stuff to check the connections to the ECU and laptop and the power and ground to the battery. If that's not it, try and get a USB to serial port adapter. Hopefully we will figure it out soon. I'd like to get this baby tuned and go racing.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowmaro98
I talked with a guy at big stuff and he said if the coms are coming in and out, that the ECU is fine. It has something to do with either:
1. the cable between the ECU and the lap top ... or
2. there is a driver conflict on my laptop.
We used 4 or 5 different cables and 3 different laptops... 2 of which had BS3 on them and work fine with other cars. One was a clean new installed laptop.

My BS3 basically went completely dead and would work intermittently!

Good Luck... I still dont know when I will have mine back!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trackday, I'll buy the old pos for tree fity, when you get it back.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

Well i opened up big stuff again the other day and it worked just fine. i didn't change anything. i went and bought a USB to serial port adapter and hooked big stuff up to my new lap top (been wanting to do that for a while) and it works just fine. so long story short... i have no idea why it crashed that one day (it was raining that day i trailered it to the dyno, maybe something got wet). seems to be working fine ever since. i guess i will schedule another dyno day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Stuff 3 HELP...