PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with tunercat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats essentially your commanded AFR...which is a disaster...I don't know why stock LT1 computers are so ridiculous like that...essentially the MAF and/or VE were not calibrated, so the commanded AFR had to be all over the dam place to make what actually came out of the tailpipes be something remotely close to correct.

The guys who wrote the PCM software knew what they were doing...if everything in their software is calibrated properly, the %change to AFR table versus RPM can be populated with smooth correct data as well (the correct % to get the AFR you want relative to stoich)...it'd take some time, but I would suggest trying to do that first.

I'd actually suggest looking at some of the more recent threads in the PCM section on impalassforum.com...a few guys over there (myself included) have been looking into getting the LT1 PCM calibrated more correctly...I've got a few LT1 cars lined up locally that I want to work with to do just that.

You're entering an area of modding with a very steep initial learning curve...but once you get over that hump, it's not too difficult...sometimes tedious, but if you're good with math, tuning cars isn't so tough.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i was like thats not pretty at all. i went to those forums but its only showing 2 posts. id be happy to learn from you guys and try to give my input but i am new to tuning. i am fine with math, yay for calc...which i don't think has any use in tuning. i am hoping to get around to start messing with stuff soon. i am getting my wideband installed tomorrow, well at least the bung welded in. what else should i be looking at. i have been trying to datalog but i have been having problems with the programs only reading for about a second after the car starts..probably a windows 7 error. i am thinking that my one o2 is too low on voltage and is causing my car to lean out, so i am going to try returning it again for another one. then i will go from there.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95z286speed
yeah i was like thats not pretty at all. i went to those forums but its only showing 2 posts. id be happy to learn from you guys and try to give my input but i am new to tuning. i am fine with math, yay for calc...which i don't think has any use in tuning. i am hoping to get around to start messing with stuff soon. i am getting my wideband installed tomorrow, well at least the bung welded in. what else should i be looking at. i have been trying to datalog but i have been having problems with the programs only reading for about a second after the car starts..probably a windows 7 error. i am thinking that my one o2 is too low on voltage and is causing my car to lean out, so i am going to try returning it again for another one. then i will go from there.
I think you might have a driver issue with 64 bit windows 7...you need to make sure you're running proper signed drivers for the hardware...I actually haven't tried tunercat or datamaster since I switched to a 64 bit win 7 laptop (HPTuners has drivers for it, and works fine)...but I have another LT1 car coming in for a tune soon so I guess I should get it figured out.

On that forum, you need to pick the option to show threads from the beginning...there was a lot of good stuff in january and december of this past year (and older stuff too), my screen name is MikeOD on there...there's been a lot of discussion of widebands, MAF calibration, commanded versus actual AFR, how to achieve it...I'd post links, but I'm not sure if thats allowed. Look for posts from Scott Knight and dloch, they've been doing a lot over there lately.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

yeah there is some sort of driver error...it takes me 3 to 4 times just to get tunercat to read. i have installed in compatibility mode but it still gives me problems. i haven't had too much time to mess with it due to school, let me know if you figure out any tricks. ill be researching all those posts for sure. thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also try the camaroz28 forum. They seem to be more focused on LT1 vehicles, and are very responsive.
Make sure your Tunercats is not V2.24. It has a bug in it that could cause your PCM to have an incorrect checksum and stop communicating. They have all the info on their site.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

its 2.25, just ordered it like 2 weeks ago.