PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Are The Limits of the Stock PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What Are The Limits of the Stock PCM?

I have been researching this, but have not found the specific answers. If you are running say, a low 10-second car with the stock PCM and tuning it with HP Tuners, are there parameters that are not as tune-able with the stock PCM as opposed to an aftermarket system like Big Stuff 3? When do the aftermarket systems need to come into play? Are these systems much better on the car when dealing with a "drag race" car only, and trying to run the same numbers as close as possible?

Sometimes I believe that we are tuning this car, and what we are trying to achieve with the stock computer is falling behind at the level we need it at. When, if you switched to an aftermarket high-end system, did you figure out this needed to be changed over?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The only limit that I have bumped into on the stock PCM that was an issue was the rpm limit. Other then that the stock computer seems to support all the way down to low 9 sec cars rather well.

Aftermarket computers are nice for nitrous I/O's, boost controlled launching, and better widgets for getting the car out of the hole.

But a lot of folks think you can slap in an aftermarket and all the tuning problems go away. You'll have tuning quirks with the aftermarket system as well. Weird **** that will take you a while to figure out.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are turning over 8,000 rpms, you are not at the limits of the stock PCM... As far as tunability, with the custom operating systems out there (at least for EFILive) there is not much you can't do with them. No reason I can see that a 10 second (or even 9 second) car needs an aftermarket system...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my feeling is the limits are the biggest injectors you can find that the stock PCM can control.. it can run everything else fine.. just th ecapacity of the injector...

this is where either a driver box will be needed or an aftermarket ecu...

we currently have a car on its first pass running 8.2secs 155mph... with standard LS1 PCM for every thing except fuel... a microtech is running the 16 indy blue injectors