Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno results are in.. not what i expected

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dyno results are in.. not what i expected

418ci, 6l heads, vindicator cam, ls6 intake,long tubes, built a4, 3000 stall, 9" rear

bryan at pcmforless got me on the dyno today and it pulled 440hp 450tq

i was hoping for 500whp, he said those 6l heads are most of the problem, they arent flowing very good.

when it was on the dyno and it started acting up. it would just shut off and the check engine light wouldnt come one. so i checked fuses and they are all good, then for no reason it came back on. then it goes out.. the car still starts without the light but i have to give it gas to get it started.. what the heck is goin on?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Bad grounds, loose connections, yadda, yadda..
Did the tuner do a datalog to see wtf may be going on when this is happening??
Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you mill those 317's?
What kind of pistons?
I can't remember what are the specs on the vindicator?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

the heads were only cleaned up. the pistons are flat tops with valve reliefs, and the cam is i think .605/.596 240/244

i drove it on the street for the first time yesterday and after it winds out 2nd it hits a rev limiter before it goes into 3rd. whats weird is he set my limiter at 7200? and im pretty sure i didnt wind 2nd that high. but ive never been happy with the way this car shifted before the tune. i think ill be changing to a manual valve body,

also, when i got home its idling at almost 2k rpms.. i checked for vacuum leaks and found none. i started it today and it idles fine. i took it around the block and the idle goes way up. im thinking its a tune issue, idle at hot and cold? i tried adjusting at the throttle blade screw and if i lower it the car wont idle at all.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like it needs some attention in the tune.. probably power to be had as well if nothing was changed on the dyno
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Looks to me like the car isn't breathing like it should. So you are using a stock ported throttle body? If so that is probably an issue. The ls6 intake is holding you back. Obviously if the heads aren't flowing well that is holding you back. What size are the primaries on the headers?

What is the compression on this engine?

Also I wouldn't get too hung up on dyno numbers being that you are running a stalled A4 with a ford 9 inch. That is the set up I run and it isn't exactly a dyno queen.

Aside from the power problem, as Nikon mentioned above, I'd look into the tune. Between hitting the rev limiter on shifts and the idling issues it is worth looking into.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

ive been emailing bryan back and forth to fix the little things that are buggin me, and he said he has the computer set to idle at 925, and if its ever any higher to look for vaccum leak or a sticking IAC. i doubt the sticking iac cause this happens everytime its at operating temp, and i checked for vacuum leaks. it idles good till it heats up then it likes to idle alot higher towards 2g. im frustrated with it.

headers are 1 3/4 primaries and the compression is 11:1
i know its a stalled a4 but ive seen some pretty good numbers with this cam and stock or close to stock shortblocks. thats why i had higher expectations
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknbird350
the heads were only cleaned up. the pistons are flat tops with valve reliefs, and the cam is i think .605/.596 240/244

i drove it on the street for the first time yesterday and after it winds out 2nd it hits a rev limiter before it goes into 3rd. whats weird is he set my limiter at 7200? and im pretty sure i didnt wind 2nd that high. but ive never been happy with the way this car shifted before the tune. i think ill be changing to a manual valve body,

also, when i got home its idling at almost 2k rpms.. i checked for vacuum leaks and found none. i started it today and it idles fine. i took it around the block and the idle goes way up. im thinking its a tune issue, idle at hot and cold? i tried adjusting at the throttle blade screw and if i lower it the car wont idle at all.
Ok, 1st your comp is prob wicked low... the 317's are 72cc heads and your comp is down with flat top/rv pistons..... The 317's are basically 243's with a bigger cc..... You could mill the 317 to around 64-65cc .030 to get your comp around 10:3-11.1 .... Or just invest in some L92's, trick flows, etc..... Its going to be tuff to get a low comp NA motor to pump 500rwhp.... I wonder if that cam is too larger for the compression you have.. But if you did pump up the comp to around 10:5-11:1 that cam should bleed off enough st comp to avoid pinging.

Are you running boost or any plans on boost? I asked that since I believe your comp is so low...... Your converter may not be efficent... Sounds like that the tune is tad bit off......

??????????????????????????/
Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

my compression is low? the machine shop calculated 11:1

i keep trying to figure it out on all those compression calculators but they keep coming up with 5.8:1 what am i doin wrong?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

i was typing in .53 for head gasket i redid it and its 11.2:1

flat tops, 4.100 stroke, 4.030 bore, .053 head gasket, 72cc head,
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

A 71.06cc chamber 317 casting head will not be nearly as low compression on a stroker motor! There is alot more to consider than just the combustion chamber CC's to determine compression. The gasket thickness, compression height on the pistons, rod length, stroke and deck height all play a role in what the quench and static compression will be.

The auto is killing the HP numbers first off, and second the LS6 intake and stock 317 heads are doing nothing but corking that bottom end up. Put some nice Heads and a nice Intake on there and power will go up.

Quick Reply: dyno results are in.. not what i expected