Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a pcm swap 98 to 99+

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
If you have HP tuners I have a HPT file that will work for you. It will take you 4 credits to use. It has the correct fuel segment already in it. Le me know and i can email oir post it up for you.
If you just swap the segment in their actual file you will save them the $200 (4 credits). As noted, you can send it into HPTuner's as well for the swap if you can't DIY, but I think there may be a fee for segment swaps. You'd have to contact support to find out for sure.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
If you just swap the segment in their actual file you will save them the $200 (4 credits). As noted, you can send it into HPTuner's as well for the swap if you can't DIY, but I think there may be a fee for segment swaps. You'd have to contact support to find out for sure.
When I email'd Will about this he said that they can only swap in trans segments. = ; (
Old 09-05-2010, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was brainfarting anyway... I was working on an 01 4l80 segment swap when I made the above post. Obviously moving away from the 98 there will be at least two credits involved.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 that I am considering changing, but at what point do I stop throwing good money into bad? I already spent the cash for HP Tuners. I dropped $500 on the Tuning School classes. If I go with a 02 PCM, I'll have to drop the cash for that. Then I have to cut the harness in a few places and re-pin everything. Now I will have to buy more credits from HP Tuners. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy BigStuff3 and be done with it. Everyone says a second grader could install it and tune with it. It seems like every time I turn around there is a wiring problem. I've already spent way too much time trying to salvage a 12 year old harness.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b.d.d.
I have a 98 that I am considering changing, but at what point do I stop throwing good money into bad? I already spent the cash for HP Tuners. I dropped $500 on the Tuning School classes. If I go with a 02 PCM, I'll have to drop the cash for that. Then I have to cut the harness in a few places and re-pin everything. Now I will have to buy more credits from HP Tuners. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy BigStuff3 and be done with it. Everyone says a second grader could install it and tune with it. It seems like every time I turn around there is a wiring problem. I've already spent way too much time trying to salvage a 12 year old harness.
The reason i did it was my 98 pcm took a crap and 02 are a cheaper pcm. Also its a lot easer to tune. But if you got the cash to spend on a bigstuff3 go for it.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Who makes a good 2002 harness? This is a drag car with a TH350 so we are only talking about the basics for the engine.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98z28bitcha
The reason i did it was my 98 pcm took a crap and 02 are a cheaper pcm. Also its a lot easer to tune. But if you got the cash to spend on a bigstuff3 go for it.
I just get tired of the nickle/dime BS on the factory wiring. It seems like it is always something. 100 lbs of useless wires under the dash for crap I do not use, but you can bet it will cause a problem. Body control modules, TDR relays, little black boxes that I have no idea what they are for. Ugh. If I could trust someone I would pay them to gut all the damn wiring and leave me with the basics to drag race with. As much as I have invested in the HPT + the tuning school stuff I might as well stick with it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by b.d.d.
I'm selling a 99harness and PCM. If u want pm me.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

I'm very happy with the swap from the 98 to the 02 PCM. I can now see much more data, have better control over the WOT fueling. I have an automatic and the trans ***** when its supposed to. no hesitation now.
You have to extend at the pcm like 12 wires. about 5 inches.
I would definately start with a 100% good harness you dont want to mess with a harness IMO that has been cut up and spliced and stuff already. You want a 100% good reliable harness.
The 98 harness needs rebinned.
the 99+ harnesses need a few wires added to it. SInce the 98 cluster is direct driven off the sensors. unlike the 99+ wich uses the serial data.
I have a 02 harness (auto) that is in PERFECT condition that i bought as a backup plan. Im selling for $285 shipped w/Paypal fee included.
I can sell you my spare 0411 pcm (very cheap) with the 98 fuel segment moved already so you only have to use 2 hp tuner credits.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

So any help ya need just look me up.
You have a pm lol. I have been waiting on a shop to do this for me. But I am growing impatient. I have a pcm part #12200411 that my tuner mailed me with the fuel segment swapped already. All I need to do is the repin now. But was wanting everyone advice who has actually done this. The motor and trans is coming out. A 370ci and a built 4l60 is going back in. If all this is out is it easier to just swap the harness? See I am not sure if all the under dash crap has to come out if I do a new harness or not, and I dont want to mess with the dash stuff, been there and done that. Buying a new harness wouldnt bother me, I am really just looking at the ease of installation. Repining sounds extremely tedious to me. I can handle all the other swaps, its just this pcm thing has me thinking twice
Old 10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard that there is a way to wire the 98 fuel sender straight to the cluster bypassing the PCM all together. The reason that I need to bypass the PCM is that I am not running a stock computer anymore. I am running the AEM EMS. It is designed to be plug and play for the 99+ fbodies BUT there is no way to do the segment swap as it is hardcoded according to AEM. Has anyone wired it up direct?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by taws6m6
You have a pm lol. I have been waiting on a shop to do this for me. But I am growing impatient. I have a pcm part #12200411 that my tuner mailed me with the fuel segment swapped already. All I need to do is the repin now. But was wanting everyone advice who has actually done this. The motor and trans is coming out. A 370ci and a built 4l60 is going back in. If all this is out is it easier to just swap the harness? See I am not sure if all the under dash crap has to come out if I do a new harness or not, and I dont want to mess with the dash stuff, been there and done that. Buying a new harness wouldnt bother me, I am really just looking at the ease of installation. Repining sounds extremely tedious to me. I can handle all the other swaps, its just this pcm thing has me thinking twice

I would swap the engine and trans harness while doing the engine swap. Then its only a couple wires to repin inside the car on the r side... Going from 3 connectors to 2.. I did the pin swap at the pcm and it worked great but it looks a bit messy. I should have gotten a better lable maker and started at one end of the connector instead of the all over the place method I used while repining. Maybe a winter project to try cleaning it up a bit.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Cannot seem to get my fuel gauge to with my new swap. 1998 ws6 m6 with 01+ pcm harness repinned, frost seem to have done the seg swap for me. The c210 plug "the DRK BLU" wire is not connected amywhere. I connected c2-38 on new pcm with no luck. Seems like i cant find any concrete info on this since i am running a 99+ plastic tank and seem to read contraticting info on wether it works or not
Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by taws6ali
Cannot seem to get my fuel gauge to with my new swap. 1998 ws6 m6 with 01+ pcm harness repinned, frost seem to have done the seg swap for me. The c210 plug "the DRK BLU" wire is not connected amywhere. I connected c2-38 on new pcm with no luck. Seems like i cant find any concrete info on this since i am running a 99+ plastic tank and seem to read contraticting info on wether it works or not
maybe you don't need the segment swap to run the 99+ pcm and the 99+ tank sending unit.
Keep me posted as I want to swap my tank. I'm having an issue with tuning out of fuel on hard corners below 1/2 tank.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

What's the reason the wires need to be extended if you're just moving them around the harness housing? Are they that tight that they need the extra 2 inches or is there something else to it I'm missing? Thinking about doing this
Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

I did this and it turned out pretty messy looking. If you want it to look better than mine did it's best to extend the wires. Lol.

Originally Posted by My2000Z28
What's the reason the wires need to be extended if you're just moving them around the harness housing? Are they that tight that they need the extra 2 inches or is there something else to it I'm missing? Thinking about doing this
Old 07-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

My rewire was messy..I just made a cover for the whole pcm lol.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

It's definitely bye bye to traction control?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Pcm swap

I need help with this swap my number is 8062928850 i am really in a bind and dont know what to do
If the car is a 1998 and you are moving to a 2002 pcm (0411 works the best) all you have to do is repin the red and blue connectors at the pcm (and extend a few wires to make them longer) You will need a 0411 pcm with the fuel segment swapped into it, and the tables adjusted. That is it. If you need a PCM with the file already in it I can direct you to a reliable source. I think they are a site sponsor as well but I'm not 100% sure so I cant post their name.
Its that easy. Definately worth it in my opinion. Car responds much better.
I just finished this on my personal 98 car and it works 100% perfect. So any help ya need just look me up.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey BBK, Im doing the same..a 411 tuned pcm into a repinned original 1998 harness....fuel segment is added to my new PCM and a basic tune as well.
Did you have to do anything with the three interior connectors or did you just repin the existing 1998 PCM connectors and leave the inside three connectors alone? Thanks, Dave

Quick Reply: Need help with a pcm swap 98 to 99+