PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the symtoms of a broken ground wire??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the symtoms of a broken ground wire??

The reason i ask is i am looking at a friends 98 WS6. A year or 2 ago i installed a cam an a few other little things and put a tune in the car. It ran great, well a few weeks ago he got an LS6 intake and a stall he wanted put in, he had someone else install that stuff. First they put the LS6 intake on and he said it ran fine the few times he drove it around the block. Then they done the stall converter swap, and all in the sudden the car won't idle. You fire it up and if you baby it enough it will idle but soon it will surge and die. So last week i hooked my scanner up to the car and the LTFT's were maxed out +25 the o2 readings are hanging at 850-870 and not bouncing around like they are suppose to. He didn't have his y-pipe on the car i thought that might have something to do with it. Put that on and no change, i started looking for vacuum leak's found a few and that actually made the car idle even worse you start i up and it will just start surging right away and die. Then i get a MAF code for low voltage, deleted the code swapped the meter with the one outta my TA and same thing the code came right back on. Let the car sit for a min. was looking at the scan again and deleted the codes and put his meter back on started it up again and the code never came back on WTF?????

I'm going to take the intake off to see if anything is broke. I'm wondering now if it could be either the ground wire on the back of the head or the ground wire that connects to the bellhousing. I've heard with broken grounds back there these cars will do really weird stuff would make sense for it to be something like that since i can't find anything else wrong. I'm at a loss alittle bit since i didn't install these last mods, i'm kinda just pokin an hopin at this point
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

When I had broken/loose grounding bolt eyelets on the back of the heads, I had random cutting out and sputtering behavior when the chassis was upset... things like bumps, fast stops, going around corners...anything that would cause the grounds to move around and lose connection.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
When I had broken/loose grounding bolt eyelets on the back of the heads, I had random cutting out and sputtering behavior when the chassis was upset... things like bumps, fast stops, going around corners...anything that would cause the grounds to move around and lose connection.

Hmmm can't keep the thing running long enough to even get it out of the driveway. It also gets a misfire code too forgot about that.

Quick Reply: What are the symtoms of a broken ground wire??