PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE point me in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE point me in the right direction.

Ok guys i hope I can get the answer I need on here. Just finishing putting in a LQ4 in my rock buggy, fomally had four banger. The harness i had built kind sucks and after finally geting the thing to run, after about half hour of running i turned it off. And found my red top optima steaming. Apparent ly thes alternater have a votage reulating wire that the pcm needs to recogenze. where is this wireand how can i get this to work properly. Got a big trail run this weekend and could use some help. Thanks Josh
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the PCM you have... if you search on here for wiring diagrams, you might be able to find the one that matches which year PCM you have and it will show you all of the pin-out connections...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

the pcm and the cut down harness is from what i am told is an 03. thanks for any help.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like pin 75 on the C1 (blue) PCM connector to the C terminal on the alternator. Grey wire.

Looked it up for a 03 Silverado.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think the alternator itself has an issue, normally they don't charge, when they're missing the PCM signal. Take it and get it tested at your local alternator repair shop and ask them about converting it to a 1 wire alternator, that way you only need to hook the battery to the big post. Your issue sounds more like a ground issue to me, make sure you have a good ground wire from the negative post of the battery to the motor and that the alternator case is grounded
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Teching In

went out to shop to try to charge battery and found alt was getting hot with the charger on. also the harness only has the brown wire left in the plug?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dweezel17
went out to shop to try to charge battery and found alt was getting hot with the charger on. also the harness only has the brown wire left in the plug?
Most of the LS based alternators only have one wire in the plug.
A one wire alternator only have one wire total, the battery wire.
Sounds like the alternator lost some diodes
If you have a local Auto Electric shop, go there, you're better off, then going to one of the big chains, that sell stuff, thats been cleaned and repaired and pass it off as rebuilt.