Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC 410 and 412

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC 410 and 412

These two trouble codes started after the disconnecting two connectors in the MAF and throttle body areas (not tech savvy yet on the names). the codes would show up on fast acceleration. Most recently they just occurred during regular driving.
I have checked the connectors for proper seating , cleaned them with electronics cleaner. the car ran for almost a day with no codes.
I noticed yesterday that my Alternator guage is dropping from 13 volts to almost in the caution area when, I believe, the cooling fan turns on. Could this be a possible cause - That I may need a new alternator.
Can anyone assist with a troubleshooting procedure and any pdf file showing parts locations or diagrams.

Thanks

Last edited by 98 Beast; 07-28-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: left out a a necessary word
Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're both secondary air codes. Could be something as easy and a blown AIR PUMP fuse. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8712.php for P0410 says if you're getting P0412 also, diagnose that code first.

My gauge dipps some when the high speed fans come on at initial start with the AC on (activating the fans), but goes back to normal. Before condemning the alternator make sure your battery connections are clean and/or have the battery load tested free at a parts store.

Welcome to the board.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dtc 410-412

Thanks you! I appreciate the welcome and opportunity to share information.

I checked the fuses, as you said and they were good. Ran a scan and the first day the codes showed up only once and after resetting them both 410 and 412 showed up two times the next day. If I understand it correctly, everytime a fault occurs the OBDII records the incident. I have rode around for a week with only one instance.

Regarding the alternator
The dip that occurs now is new. The guage is running at almost 13v and will take a dip into the Caution area when I stop at a light or the car is in idle. The needle dips but stays down until I start moving again and then there is a momentary pause and the needle will return to 13. Also I had to install a new battery in the T/A approx 6 months ago.
I did notice that when my initial battery died, I jumped the car and got it started to drive home and while driving it home, it appeared that the alternator, instead of putting out a constant voltage, it would drop out momentarily and everything would start to dim and then it would come back up to normal. It was fairly consistent in the 2 mile trek home. I wasn't sure if this indicated that the alt. was dying slowly. I also wasn't sure if the codes or other issues could be caused by the alternator acting this way.

Any advice
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gauge should be running just past 13V once warm, even higher when cold then come down slowly. Could be the alt but I'd check the battery connections for being corrosion free and tight, and have the battery load tested first just to eliminate the possibility of that being the problem. If that's good start another thread in the appropriate forum about the charging issue only to get more responses. Include info about the car (A4, system, underdrive pulley, etc?)