Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT issues?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IAT issues?!?

I am guessing this is where this belongs. I have an 02 camaro SS engine in my nissan 240sx. All wiring was done at SIKKY and the car starts/runs great. However, one thing I noticed wrong was that the IAT read -38 degrees. I am guessing that means its unhooked or is wired wrong? Where is the IAT read from? the MAF or is it its own sensor (or does the camaro ss not have one?). I know that these cars probably base fueling/ignition changes off of IATs so I am just curious. I am wanting to start letting her rip, but I want it right first before I start having some fun.. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by RS777; 08-03-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming that when you say you have an LS1 from an '02 SS, you are using the PCM and everything else from that platform...

Stock, the IAT is a separate sensor that is located in the upper air box (the "lid"). The stock MAF sensor should have three wires running to it - if that has been changed to a later MAF (like an 85mm piece, or the new card types), those will have 5 wires running to them - the other two are for the IAT sensor since those bigger MAFs have an integrated IAT sensor. If you are running the stock 75mm MAF, the IAT sensor ain't in there.

The first thing I'd do is make sure the IAT sensor was indeed hooked up, and if so, make sure the wiring isn't reversed. On my car (when stock), the IAT sensor wires were in the same area as the IAC stepper motor, TPS sensor, and MAF.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

It should have one - stock, the Camaro had it in the air filter lid... Log is indicating it isn't there...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm assuming that when you say you have an LS1 from an '02 SS, you are using the PCM and everything else from that platform...

Stock, the IAT is a separate sensor that is located in the upper air box (the "lid"). The stock MAF sensor should have three wires running to it - if that has been changed to a later MAF (like an 85mm piece, or the new card types), those will have 5 wires running to them - the other two are for the IAT sensor since those bigger MAFs have an integrated IAT sensor. If you are running the stock 75mm MAF, the IAT sensor ain't in there.

The first thing I'd do is make sure the IAT sensor was indeed hooked up, and if so, make sure the wiring isn't reversed. On my car (when stock), the IAT sensor wires were in the same area as the IAC stepper motor, TPS sensor, and MAF.
it is indeed a full 02 pullout. Harness is merged with the 240SX harness for ease of install.

It should have one - stock, the Camaro had it in the air filter lid... Log is indicating it isn't there...
That's what I figured, but was just curious. This sucks as obviously the pullout didn't come with the lid and now I am guessing with an IAT either... yay. Time to waste a few days tracking one down. Is it threaded or is there an easy way to hook this up? I have a custom 4" intake I made (does anyone sell a 4" intake piece with an IAT spot made in?). Thanks for your help everyone
Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The stock IAT sensor uses a simple snug fit in a rubber grommet to hold it in place in the lid. You can buy threaded IAT sensors as well (along with a weld-in bung), but I'd try to find an LS1 f-body in a junk yard or something so you could just grab the sensor + grommet and be on your way. Drill a hole to accept the grommet, insert sensor, and call it a day.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

GM had one in stock $25. I am just going to pick it up an do as you say. Thanks!

I know this is a little redundant, but do you know what size grommet or anything to use (or is there a write up on this?). Just trying to save time.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm honestly not sure...I use a threaded IAT sensor in a bung right now. Not even sure where my stock IAT sensor is for that matter...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm honestly not sure...I use a threaded IAT sensor in a bung right now. Not even sure where my stock IAT sensor is for that matter...
Understood, thanks. I was just hoping someone would have a "this is the oreilly part # for the grommet that fits it" or something. Thanks for all your help. I have it hooked up and I will get it installed here shortly. Fortunately my temps are right and not -38degrees anymore
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a bag of those IAT grommets somewhere