PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding using a different PCM then OEM.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions regarding using a different PCM then OEM.

I am thinking of removing the factory PCM that I am currently using HP Tuners with and replacing it with the MS3EEXP or the Big Stuff 3. My question is is there anything the dash usses the PCM for? Does it have its own brain? Do I have to keep the factory PCM in order for the dash, ABS and other stuff to continue to work? I am thinking of doing this to my 02 F-Body.

Thanks for the advise in advance.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
... Do I have to keep the factory PCM in order for the dash, ABS and other stuff to continue to work? I am thinking of doing this to my 02 F-Body.

Thanks for the advise in advance.

Yes.

It's hard to imagine why you would really need to go this route for your current setup though (just an interjected opinion)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been playing with the MS2 and the MS3EXP at work and i find it to be alot more symple to use. I also like the fact I can run WB O2's directly into it instead of NB's. Not to mention I can run 8 EGT's to it and go to High Impedence injectors. It was just a thought I was toing with.

If I would still need the OEM PCM to work everything else, then maybe the thing I should do is leave the OEM PCM running everything and put much smaller injectors in it for running around and turn the Closed loop back on, then set up a symple fuel only MS3 to run a second set of larger injectors set up with WB O2's to fuel were the small injectors fall off.

I am just getting tired of the issues these large 80# injectors cause, and the crappy fuel mileage in town do to having to run OL all the time. It seams like a set of stock injectors with a large set of piggy back injectors might work better. I am just wanting the impossible, the best of both worlds .

Frost you know your **** so I am eager for your input.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I have been playing with the MS2 and the MS3EXP at work and i find it to be alot more symple to use. I also like the fact I can run WB O2's directly into it instead of NB's. Not to mention I can run 8 EGT's to it and go to High Impedence injectors. It was just a thought I was toing with.

If I would still need the OEM PCM to work everything else, then maybe the thing I should do is leave the OEM PCM running everything and put much smaller injectors in it for running around and turn the Closed loop back on, then set up a symple fuel only MS3 to run a second set of larger injectors set up with WB O2's to fuel were the small injectors fall off.

I am just getting tired of the issues these large 80# injectors cause, and the crappy fuel mileage in town do to having to run OL all the time. It seams like a set of stock injectors with a large set of piggy back injectors might work better. I am just wanting the impossible, the best of both worlds .

Frost you know your **** so I am eager for your input.

You need a different car all together for fuel mileage! Isn't MS2 batch fire as well?

Simple isn't always better... you can set your HPTuner's editor to Beginner and only see a few paramters, which is simple, but is that better?

Almost every car I tune with 83s seems to take injector tuning past plugging in numbers to get their minimum pulse width low enough to idle clean and not cause the off-idle stumble as fuel trims transition from closed-throttle.

What is your current IPW at hot idle/decel? If it's higher than 1.2-1.3mS, you probably just need more work on your short pulse tables.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I PMed you.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am back on this again. I have been working with DIY on some experimental stuff and I really like their product. I am now finishing up a MS3EXP install on a 85 Vette and the MS3EXP is very user friendly and is so symple to install.

Since I originally posted, I wrecked my WS6, and have now purchased a 02 Firebird to put all my stuff in. This time around I am caging this car, I am moving the Turbo up front, I have changed my cam timing to were Shawn sujested it to be, changed manifolds, planing on using Nitrous with my turbo, and rebuilding the car to run in our local Mean Street class with the goal of running high 8's. Everything has changed now. So PCM boost control, PCM nitrous control, PCM 3 step, sequential fueling, larger injectors, Closed loop with WB instead of NB, Ability to define OpenLoop and Closed Loop operation on RPM, PCM controled multiple fuel pumps, and PCM controled Air shifter is why I am going to delete the OEM PCM and go to the MS3EXP from DIYauto. They are also whilling to work with me to make the MS3EXP work with the facory instument cluster. I am now building a full race car with tags and inspection sticker, 90% track time, 10% street time (cruises and car shows).