Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does tuning take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does tuning take?

Hey guys, I was wondering how long it takes to tune a car with very few bolt ons. The reason I ask is there's a local guy here that a buddy of mine knows that usually charges $100 an hour to tune on a mustang dyno. Not sure what all this includes since he just told me a minute ago. All I have is a lid and an aftermarket catback. Not sure what catback it is, but I was wanting to get a baseline so that I could see the relativity to all the mods I plan on adding. I'm thinking he'll be able to get me a better deal than $100 an hour, but was just wondering. As far as I know I don't have any issues with the car, no lights or anything on in the dash.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

a good tuner with medium experience can tune your stock internals vehicle fairly quickly on a loaded dyno...such as most mustang dyno's are
an hour should be plenty of time..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places charge $100/hr just for the dyno time - that does not include any tuning charges... like said above, an hour is plenty of time for a good tuner to be on the dyno with a bolt-on car...
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome guys. I don't even have many bolt ons. Just a catback and lid and that's about it. I may be able to get a deal for less than 100 an hour since a guy I know has connections at that shop, but we'll see. My gas mileage has been sucking pretty horribly lately though (high 15's all city) when I used to get around 17. Only had the car since the end of October and haven't had a chance to do all of the tune up stuff (plugs, wires, etc.)
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Awesome guys. I don't even have many bolt ons. Just a catback and lid and that's about it. I may be able to get a deal for less than 100 an hour since a guy I know has connections at that shop, but we'll see. My gas mileage has been sucking pretty horribly lately though (high 15's all city) when I used to get around 17. Only had the car since the end of October and haven't had a chance to do all of the tune up stuff (plugs, wires, etc.)
Definitly do all the tune up stuff and get the car running as best you can BEFORE the tune.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

depends on what im doing to a car, but it can take between 2 1/2 to 4 hours.

Also depends on the modifications and if it's a street tune or a dyno

Quick Reply: How long does tuning take?