PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using LCD+Notebook+Tuning software as Gauge Pkg???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using LCD+Notebook+Tuning software as Gauge Pkg???

I've got a 79 Malibu w/'04 5.3 and as most of you guys know the G-Body gauge clusters are pathetic. So I was first thinking tuner like Bully Dog triple dog mounted in place of gauges, but the display is too small. Then I got the idea of mounting an LED screen the appropriate size in play of gauge cluster(need to be able to see in sunlight too), and either a note book permanently mounted in the glove box or a custom built-in computer w/a dash plug for a separate keyboard. Either w/solid state drive and HPtuners or some other tuning software. Would this work for a daily driver? Is it possible for the computer to hibernate when the ignition is shut off then quickly come back o when the ignition is switched on? This seems like it wouldn't be anymore expensive than a complete electronic gauge package+tuning software am I missing something?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

no one has any thoughts on this?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gauges in the scan tool...while cool...are INCREDIBLY slow compared to real dashboard gauges, due to the data transfer rate of the OBD2 line...it's fast enough for tuning (on 99+...98's SUCK lol)...but not fast enough for gauges imho. The newest CAN stuff is faster...but still I think you'd find yourself very upset/disappointed with the results.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't there also be a risk of "bricking" the PCM due to sharing a power source with the laptop?

This may only be a problem when flashing or reading.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you considered this one?

Here it is the info:
Code:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=200/category_id=424/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd200.htm
Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not a computer guy, I'm a fabricator and a mechanical go fast guy. That's why I asked feel free to express your opinions because I'm a dumb *** when it comes to computers thanks guys just a random thought that I had