PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners....LS1Edit competition....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone emailed carputing to see what they plan on doing about the competition?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:53 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by JRL96TA
Has anyone emailed carputing to see what they plan on doing about the competition?
Why?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRL96TA
I figure ChisB has close enough ties that they definately know about this.

As for why? Maybe LS1Edit prices might drop, or they might offer a scan tool with theirs too eventually.

As for me... I already got ATAP and Edit. Just wish I knew more of what I am doing to make it work for me.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

will it be user friendly for us dummys? and what about us wit ha mail order tune? will it still work then?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrencher
Why?

gotta a gree here...

carputing has raped us for the past few years... i bought my LS1 Edit when it first came out... when my 6month support agreement ran out I went to renew... and they had raised the rates!!!! They never offered GPs, they never sponsored any boards... they only cared about the cash flow... now that there's competition I say screw them!

People who have killed thier PCMs... had to go to a dealership or send the PCM back to carputing.. both of which they were charged for (why couldn't carputing build this into their software like HP Tuners ???)

I own LS1 Edit now.. but as far as I'm concerned... as soon as I have the money I'm buying the HP Tuners cable and software... LS1 Edit (carputing) had a monopoly for years and they took advantage of it... why should anyone stay loyal to them?

Plus if I ever sell my car.. I need to sell my PCM and LS1 Edit cable together if I wanna sell my expensive LS1 Edit... there's no resale for LS1 Edit... hence the reason you never see used LS1 Edit cables for sale...

This competition will be good for us all , both now and in the future
Old 02-06-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wish this was around about a year ago when I first bougt EDIT. I even wish I would have waited for this before updating my EDIT for the new truck. Speaking of ... are ya'll having the same problem with the truck PCM's that EDIT is? They can't get the incar programming down, and seem to be at a stand still on it. Right now you have to have another cable to hook up directly to the PCM rather then the diagnostic port.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by horist
I own LS1 Edit now.. but as far as I'm concerned... as soon as I have the money I'm buying the HP Tuners cable and software... LS1 Edit (carputing) had a monopoly for years and they took advantage of it... why should anyone stay loyal to them?
This is oh so very true ....
Old 02-06-2004, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Ideas on when these will be ready for shipping ? Im ready to pick one up

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wildman
I figure ChisB has close enough ties that they definately know about this.
I have no ties like that to carputing - I have just used their stuff since LT1 Edit came out.

I'm still curious if there is going to be some sort of "demo" avaialble so we can see how the software interface, etc. is going to work (but stripped of all car related IP, etc. - just something that "simulates" would be fine).

I would also be intersted in knowing of some sort of OLE, etc. cut and paste will be available, and if a "compare files/tables" type function will be available? Both of this I see as important.

As mentioned above the ability to rewrite the entire flash in the pro version is a very nice feature. I would assume this would allow for people to flash a stock program over a locked pcm without having to fork over money to the dealership for a sps flash, as well as allow people to update their image versions, etc.

Will the image files be encrypted as with LS1 Edit, or will they be normal images?

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Launching!

I'm definitely looking forward to the release of this package. Hey Keith, I'll be willing to be a test user if you want!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW, I'm the one with ties to Carputing, and I have not heard them say anything about it. Honestly, I don't know if they're aware of them. Looks like HP Tuners is even branching out and covering platforms that Carputing doesn't cover (like the V6 F-body). That's very cool. I know there are several guys out there with designs for programming. It's only a matter of time before there are a number of players in the field. To me, the tough part would be making all the editors. Wow, that's a lot of work.

Competition inspires innovation, who knows where this may go.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hello Everyone,

SilverZ28, the interface is more advanced but it is user friendly as well. We organize everything in sections so its easy to find what you are lookin for. Plus if you aren't sure what you want, we do host a message board where you can ask the owners and others using our products questions as well. We hope the forum will make it a lot easier for people to start out who just getting into the tuning aspect of their vehicles.

Flyer, we did run into some problems but then corrected our product. So far the problem hasn't come up again.

offaxis.. we could be shipping product as early as 2 weeks from today. I am saying in general though 3 weeks from now.

ChrisB, we have had much request for a demo version.. we might release one but we are confident that once a few ls1tech members use our product there will be no doubt in anyones mind that we provide a very superior product in just about every way. Also, we do not encrypt our images either. What you save to your hard drive is a mirror image of whats on your VCM/PCM.

Bergerman, thanks for the offer.

Also, we do offer a very functional copy/paste feature. You can copy sections of tables or the entire table to and from excel sheets, text editors, etc. etc... copy to and from multiple sessions of VCM Editor... We too felt that a very functional copy/paste feature is important to any editor and thus built a very in-depth easy to use highly functional copy/paste feature into ours.

Thanks for all the Support.

We, the HP Tuners team, will really do our best to provide you with superior product and top notch customer service.

I've already talked to quite a few of you on the phone. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
FWIW, I'm the one with ties to Carputing, and I have not heard them say anything about it. Honestly, I don't know if they're aware of them. Looks like HP Tuners is even branching out and covering platforms that Carputing doesn't cover (like the V6 F-body). That's very cool. I know there are several guys out there with designs for programming. It's only a matter of time before there are a number of players in the field. To me, the tough part would be making all the editors. Wow, that's a lot of work.

Competition inspires innovation, who knows where this may go.

Cheers,

Andrew
Here's a thread from EFILive's Board that may be interesting to all.

EFILive -Editor??? Thread

joel
Old 02-06-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmmmm ...

If you have some kind of simulation demo out .. I would be willing to test it on my truck to see if you got everything down with the incar programming!
Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting indeed...any plans for the LT1 market? I am currently doing a swap to an OBD1 pcm in order to better use the carputing software. Just wondering if you have anything in the works for the OBD1 or OBD 2 LT1 stuff. If so, I am *very* interested.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
Hello Everyone,

SilverZ28, the interface is more advanced but it is user friendly as well. We organize everything in sections so its easy to find what you are lookin for. Plus if you aren't sure what you want, we do host a message board where you can ask the owners and others using our products questions as well. We hope the forum will make it a lot easier for people to start out who just getting into the tuning aspect of their vehicles.

Flyer, we did run into some problems but then corrected our product. So far the problem hasn't come up again.

offaxis.. we could be shipping product as early as 2 weeks from today. I am saying in general though 3 weeks from now.

ChrisB, we have had much request for a demo version.. we might release one but we are confident that once a few ls1tech members use our product there will be no doubt in anyones mind that we provide a very superior product in just about every way. Also, we do not encrypt our images either. What you save to your hard drive is a mirror image of whats on your VCM/PCM.

Bergerman, thanks for the offer.

Also, we do offer a very functional copy/paste feature. You can copy sections of tables or the entire table to and from excel sheets, text editors, etc. etc... copy to and from multiple sessions of VCM Editor... We too felt that a very functional copy/paste feature is important to any editor and thus built a very in-depth easy to use highly functional copy/paste feature into ours.

Thanks for all the Support.

We, the HP Tuners team, will really do our best to provide you with superior product and top notch customer service.

I've already talked to quite a few of you on the phone. Thanks for the support!
These are the types of features I argued with Carputing should have been part a a final release product. I had to pay another $100.00 to get some of this in a later version.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Well you got my attention . It sounds like it's already a pretty feature-packed setup, and I'm sure a lot of work has gone into it. I'll probably end with this in addition to atap/efilive/edit. But just to put it out there so to speak, any plan for an external analog input, like what efilive is working on? That would be nice for the stand-alone wideband sensor group.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

say i already have edit/efi v6 what does VCM offer that the former doesnt; and i mean beyond the whole locked pcm thing. this new program looks very nice but im wondering if its worth the switch.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Black LS1 T/A, if you think there are any other features you'd like to see in our editor we'd love to hear them.

At the tunershops we demo at, we always ask the tuenrs what they would really like to see in an editor package to make their lives easier.. and if their ideas are prictical we develop them.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrp
say i already have edit/efi v6 what does VCM offer that the former doesnt; and i mean beyond the whole locked pcm thing. this new program looks very nice but im wondering if its worth the switch.
jrp, we offer in car recovery. If you have a communications error or lose power during a VCM/PCM calibration write, you can still recover the VCM/PCM in car without having to tow the car to a dealer or send your VCM/PCM to a programmer that can fix it for you.

Programming your vehicle stress-free is a beautiful thing!