Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcm swapping and p1336

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pcm swapping and p1336

Okay a little background: I have a STS system, installed and tuned by an authorized dealer and it's been running great for 5 years. Now, I'm tired of disconnecting the turbo for CA smog all the time and bought a spare PCM flashed to my VIN and STS's CARB legal tuning. My plan was to keep my tuner-tuned PCM as is, swap out to the spare PCM for the smog-legal tuning so i can keep both AND get my CARB sticker so the tree huggers here will be happy.

Enter today: I swap to the spare PCM, install the STS smog-legal tuning and get the P1336 Crankshaft Position code. The car runs great with STS's tune, just has the SES light. I know a Tech-2/tuning software is required to initiate a CKP relearn and that the manual says this is required for a PCM replacement.

My question is: am I going to have to do a relearn everytime I swap between the two PCMs? Or if they're both squared away on their own, can I swap between the two at will without tripping this code (i.e. run the tuner-tuned one all the time and switch to the STS CARB-legal one during smog testing)?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

After you do the relearn, both PCMs will be matched to your car. Sometimes when you do a PCM swap, you will get the P1336 code and sometimes you won't. Even if you don't get the code, you should still perform the relearn. The relearn is NOT a part of the tune it is in a different section of the PCM and does NOT travel with the tune.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Set the DTC to do not report and the light will never come on for it and it should not flunk the monitor test.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

thanks for the information guys! i don't have access to tuning software and the tuner is 200miles away so i'll have to get just do the relearn at the dealership. Hopefully it's a one-time deal...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Banned

Ask around your local garages if any of them use a Snapon red brick (MT 2500) for a scan tool, that should be able to do it
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextech
After you do the relearn, both PCMs will be matched to your car. Sometimes when you do a PCM swap, you will get the P1336 code and sometimes you won't. Even if you don't get the code, you should still perform the relearn. The relearn is NOT a part of the tune it is in a different section of the PCM and does NOT travel with the tune.

Jeff

It depends on the software and the method of flashing used. A full write with HPTuner's is a FULL WRITE and will write the crank variation data from the controller that the file was pulled from. It doesn't have to be HPTuner's though, any full binary flashing will write crank var data.