PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to tune when the pcm gets shiped..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to tune when the pcm gets shiped..

alright guy's....I'm sending out my pcm for tuning, I'm having the speedo corrected for the new gears (3:73s). My question is what else should I have tuned? I don't want to go crazy by any means...but what are some basic tuning options that I should do? This is soley my dd... I never street or drag it... I baby it for the most part, with a little red light action here and their.

I didn't know if just the gears alone would be good enough and just correct the speedo and be done with it, or do alittle more...The thing is I have no idea how to fill out the order sheet..I do.. but I don't know what effect it will have..I'm not sure if I need /or what rpm shift points to put down, or if I need different ones, firmer shift points? sounds good, but do I need it... what have you guy's done that gave optimal results/a well rounded tune.

I'm not talking to the guy's with cams or lts either unless you did the gears and **** first..everyone say's get a base tune..but what the hell is an average base tune/ things everyone should do ? tks guy's

got the car last year...mods are: slp cai.. flowmaster muffler..s.plugs and wires...blisten shocks..lca's ...and these 3:73 gears...not much but hey!!! any and all info would really help
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The PCM tuner will put in the optimal shift points.

They may even leave the shift points alone and just firm them up.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are an excellent candidate for one of those handheld tuners that only adjusts the basics for a car like yours. you can experiment with raising shift points a little at a time and test driving to suit your taste and it will give you a more agressive timing and fuel air ratio. A good way to learn the basics and adjust for gear changes and tire size changes. It will also lower your fan temperatures if you install a hyperstat or similar low temperature thermostat. Also allows you to change the rev limiter setting and a few other things.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._in/index.html