Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to tune solid roller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard to tune solid roller?

My car is finished but I'm having a hard time deciding on a tuner for it. It's a 418 LS3 solid roller 255/265 .698/.714 110 LSA with a GMPP intake topped with a 4 barrel throttle body.

I'm sure just about any shop will tell me they can tune it. What should I listen or look for when I'm talking to them about how they will go about tuning it?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam isn't too big for those cubes, my cam is about that big on a 105lsa and it took about an hours worth of drive/tuning time to get the idle and part throttle pretty well cleaned up. You definitely want to get a wideband on the car, and have them street tune it to really nail down the driveability. They can tune it on a load bearing dyno to hold a specific rpm, but it will want different fueling driving the actual car... been there done that.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing hard/different really about tuning it. May take a bit more time to get perfect but that cam really is not that big.

Big thing to do is make sure they will give you the time to get it right. A lot of shops will load their version of a mail order tune and maybe spend an hour or two to dial it in. I see many price lists on tunes say they include 3 hours or tuning time. Your setup I would probably spend a full day on a car like this. Hour or so on idle - 4-5-6 on drivability and wot on a loaded dyno - and drive around town a bit to double check everything.

If they are tuning 4 cars a day on the dyno they may not be able to give you the attention it sounds like you want on your project.