PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyperpac Programmer or PCM tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperpac Programmer or PCM tune?

I just installed a small cam in my car and now I'm looking for more horsepower. The cam helped but I'll always be looking for more power. I was looking into intakes and I decided that an ls6 intake would be the best deal but then I started looking into programmers because they supposedly help with hp and torque whereas the intake only helps with hp. My question is, after reading an article on hotrod's website it seems like I'd go with the hypertech hyperpac programmer because of the hp/torque gain. However, everyone on here seems to say that programmers don't do anything and a pcm tune is better. I don't get how a reputable magazine like hotrod can review a product like the hyperpac and give it a good review, saying that it helps noticeably with torque and then people on here say that it doesn't do anything. Would a pcm tune really be better than a hyperpac programmer? Also, with a programmer can you set your computer back to stock if you want to get better mpg around town and then turn the programmer on when you want perforamnce?
Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Hypertech programmer isn't going to do your new cam install the justice it deserves. Its not designed for that intense of a modification. IF you want to tease yourself with the results of the Hypertech programmer buy it used. Atleast you'll be able to get your $'s back from some unsuspecting noob and break even afterwards. Recommend: Get it tuned by someone using Hp Tuners or EFI Live.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

aright what about a pcm tune? the only reason i say that is because it's cheap and I don't want to spend 400 bucks to get a dyno tune that won't even result int that much more hp.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

HP tuners and EFI live is tuning the PCM. now you can send your PCM to someone and say "hey i have this cam, intake, etc etc." and he will tune it then send it back to you. but dyno tuning is best IMO
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

aright so basically programmers aren't really a worth while option and dyno tune is best and pcm tune is second best?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by citationls
aright so basically (handheld)programmers aren't really a worth while option and dyno tune is (a pcm tune) best and (mail order) pcm tune is second best?
yes'ir!

Quick Reply: Hyperpac Programmer or PCM tune?