Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flutter between 1300-1800 rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flutter between 1300-1800 rpms?

So my tuner has been working on my car and we're down to a couple issues. One the TB is only opening 92% which I need to go determine if I need to grind more off the bumpstop or adjust the throttle cable...easy enough.

The main issue is after all things are said and done with the tune...idling great...running great....no problems through the data logger...there's some kind of "flutter" between 1300-1800 rpms. That's what the tuner told me anyways....I'm going down Sunday to check it out but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what it might be. everything "tune wise" is good but he just can't figure out this flutter that feels like a miss but doesn't show up in the data logger. I'm wondering if it's mechanical in a few areas....1 I torqued the rocker arms down to 22 lbs without rotating the motor. It's a long shot but maybe???? 2...my clutch is slipping ever so little??? it's a stock clutch with 64k miles that sticks bad coming out of 1st (needs drill mod) 3...play in the driveshaft??? (stock ds)

Maybe I just dont have enough info not being the tuner myself and not having my hands on the car...but I'm pressed for time sunday and would like some input on things to possibly check for while I'm there.

Car info.... 98 TA with 64k miles
LS1 stock short block
PRC 5.3 Stg 2.5 Heads
Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs
7.400" Chomoly PushRods
Stock Rockers (still haven't done the trunion upgrade...parts are sitting on shelf)
224/228 .595/578 111 LSA Cam
25% UD Pulley
AC delete
LS2 Timing Chain
LS6 Intake
Ported stock TB
Flowtech 1 3/4" to 3" Headers, custom Y with FM Y Merge, cutout...blah blah blah

So nothing there out of the ordinary...any ideas?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

updated in case someone finds this in a search...

the flutter ended up being o2 sensors going out. swapped in some bosch 13111's and the problem went away.....seems like this flutter/hesitation is more prevelant on 98's. The misfire ended up being a coilpack.

swapped o2's and coilpack...car was tuned by John Broadview here in Mannassas, VA.....runs great!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Where is he located? I'm in Manassas alot. I.ve been playing with my tune and cant seem to get it right. Maybe I could give him a call.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

I'll send you a pm so the mods don't get angry. I'll tell you he did an awesome job and went above and beyond what I expected of him. Definitely give him a call.