Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

402 stroker hp tuners help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 402 stroker hp tuners help

Im on a quick build the army is moving me to germany in less then a week and im just about done installing the ls2 stroker in my 1998 WS6. I will have hp tuners tomorrow and i am very new to tuning. can anyone tell me what i need to do before i try starting it up and screw something up to begin the tuning? unfortunatly it has the stock fuel system and intake and 241 heads. and it has the torquer V3 Cam 231/234 .643 .598 it has -8cc pistons and close to 11 to 1 compression. I will have the engine back in on weds and want to start it on thursday.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Auto or Manual? There's quite a bit of tuning involved for a LS2 402 even for a mild setup like yours. Since you're new to tuning I would recommend waiting until you get back so you can immerse yourself without distractions. You will find out once you start tuning you will become somewhat obsessed with it. I would also recommend reading alot to better understand how the PCM works so you can interpret the scan tool data (which is your best friend when tuning).

With that said, you should always start with injectors first and move to the VE and MAF tables, then work your way to the idle airflow and spark tables. That's an over simplification, because there's more involved.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I sure would love to wait and do it but i cant leave anything here in colorado and and have to move my things to iowa. and the truck is already going to be pulling a trailer so i have to get the car drivable by the weekend. tomorrow i will have the engine in and start tuning it on thursday. do i risk destroying anything by starting it without it being tuned yet? Just wondering because the original owner had it tuned in iowa and when i got to colorado it was running way to rich and fuel was actually coming out the pipes so it might be a bit closer now having larger displacement. oh and it is an automatic so im sure thats gonna be a bit of a problem
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyws6
Thanks for the advice. I sure would love to wait and do it but i cant leave anything here in colorado and and have to move my things to iowa. and the truck is already going to be pulling a trailer so i have to get the car drivable by the weekend. tomorrow i will have the engine in and start tuning it on thursday. do i risk destroying anything by starting it without it being tuned yet? Just wondering because the original owner had it tuned in iowa and when i got to colorado it was running way to rich and fuel was actually coming out the pipes so it might be a bit closer now having larger displacement. oh and it is an automatic so im sure thats gonna be a bit of a problem
That stinks. I would not risk driving that far with a half @ss tune on a brand new engine. You should look for a local tuner in CO. Otherwise I would consider renting another truck and trailer and have a friend help drive. IMO it's not worth the possible damage to a new engine and even a chance of getting stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Your call of course.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice. I sure miss the good old carberator days lol. Im gonna do some looking around for a tuner shop. Im gonna also see if i can pay to also have the tech show me how to tune my car seeing that i am pretty new to all of this.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a email tune from one of the sponsors. This will get you up and going but you need the hptuner suite too.

Quick Reply: 402 stroker hp tuners help