PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Can't stay connected to lap top

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't stay connected to lap top

I have been picking my brain out over this for a week and I quit.. Here is my issue.

I am getting some sort of feedback into my obd2 port. I have been using hptuners on this vehicle since 2007 with no problems. The past few months it has been disconnecting randomly. Then I go to tune and as soon as I start the truck it kicks me off every time. It will let it scan for ever with the truck turned off (key in run position). I checked the lap top and hptuner cable on other trucks and it works just fine.

This is a 2001 computer and nelson harness. I have checked ALL fuses they are all good. I have checked all the grounds I can find as well. My next step was to check the wiring on the obd2 port. Everything looked good, and checked out with the multimeter. Just for grins I cut the 12v wire from the port, and just hooked it up directly to the battery. Now it will can scan on hp tuners but only for two minutes before kicking it off..

I am thinking to cut the ground wire and make a new one, and maybe try a new pcm. I also have a interceptor gauge that will only stay on for 2 minutes before it restarts it self.

Changes I have made. I added in wiring for nitrous. A window switch, bottle heater, stand alone fuel pump, and n2o/fuel solenoids. I disconnected everything and still having the issue. I also popped a 40a fuse on the standalone fuel pump. This might have something to do with it, IDK.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep us posted..
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My interface started doing something similar last year, it would randomly disconnect while logging on the street. Then all the sudden my laptop wouldn't even connect to the interface at all. I had to send in the interface to be repaired, it turned out to be a broken solder joint on the board.