Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help fouled plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help fouled plug ?

Have been having an issue with fouling out plug on #3 cylinder on my new engine.The first time I noticed was after car got tuned I checked plugs few days after and notice plug was sooted up including down in the tip so I replaced plug for that cylinder.Checked again and the same thing so I swapped injector to another cylinder to see if that was the issue and changed plug again.So I checked today and same thing plug is completely black.Is there anything else I should be checking.I only have this problem with #3.The car blows no smoke and compression is good and burns no oil.

Last edited by Quick99TransAm; 05-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Compression check?
Coil performance?
Valve train performance?
Data logs?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the plug, wire and coil pack associated with that cylinder. A bad spark can cause it to soot up as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick99TransAm
Have been having an issue with fouling out plug on #3 cylinder on my new engine.The first time I noticed was after car got tuned I checked plugs few days after and notice plug was sooted up including down in the tip so I replaced plug for that cylinder.Checked again and the same thing so I swapped injector to another cylinder to see if that was the issue and changed plug again.So I checked today and same thing plug is completely black.Is there anything else I should be checking.I only have this problem with #3.The car blows no smoke and compression is good and burns no oil.
I'll throw this out there FWIW. We had a similar situation on a 5.3. We did everything mentioned.. swapped injectors, swapped wires, coils, noid lites, you name it, # 4 was sooted black. Ran decent, no smoke, did'nt use oil, you could tell it was fuel soot. Tried new oxygen sensors, tried swapping side to side, no change. What finally fixed it was a new intake manifold gasket...go figure. Ron