Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 LTFT + STFT questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '98 LTFT + STFT questions

I'm 'playing' with a few options now that I have 90% of my tune done. I was toying around with the idea of disabling the LTFT. However, when I did, I noticed that in my logs the STFT remained at 0, as well. What I did in my tune was to set the LTFT to 'Disable' on the OL/CL tab, and set the LTFT enable temperature to 280. Is this high temp also disabling the STFT?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Setting the CL temp enable to 280*F puts the car in open loop (no fuel trims). At that point, you need to rely on a WBO2 sensor to tell you if commanded equals actual AFR or not as the PCM is not paying any attention to the factory O2 sensors.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-07-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Yes - setting the CL temp enable to 280*F puts the car in open loop. At that point, you need to rely on a WBO2 sensor to tell you if commanded equals actual AFR or not as the PCM is not paying any attention to the factory O2 sensors.
That's not what he said he did.

When I disable LTFTs I just toggle the enable/disable switch.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That's not what he said he did.

When I disable LTFTs I just toggle the enable/disable switch.
Well I assumed that he meant he changed the open loop enabler when he said he did this:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
I'm 'playing' with a few options now that I have 90% of my tune done. I was toying around with the idea of disabling the LTFT. However, when I did, I noticed that in my logs the STFT remained at 0, as well. What I did in my tune was to set the LTFT to 'Disable' on the OL/CL tab, and set the LTFT enable temperature to 280. Is this high temp also disabling the STFT?
If I misread - my apologies.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-07-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the closed loop enable temp alone, I changed the LTFT enable temp. I changed it back, and left the LTFT switch on disabled. I'm definitely in closed loop, so the STFT must be working.

I can do more testing tomorrow when I get home from my 24 hour shift at the firehouse and replace my noisy alternator. I thought the squeak was one of the idler pulleys, so I re-greased the bearings in all of them only to discover that it's the front bearing in the alternator that's gone dry.

Quick Reply: '98 LTFT + STFT questions