Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Edit question

I have a stupid question. I have the 2002 TA in the sign below. Why can't I pull the engine program from a Corvette and put it in my car? What kind of files could you do this with if any?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the tables would be at different memory addresses in the PCM (kind of). I won't go into details

Why would you want to put a Corvette's engine program on your car?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

What makes the standard Corvette make more power then my car? I was at the dyno shop last night and a stock 2000 vet was there. He pulled about 15 more rear wheel power then me. His car is 100% STOCK and my car is stock(engine stuff). I started out with and AFR of 12.3 . I leaned the system out and got to 13.7 (I leaned it too much). I gained power but I was still about 15 hp less then him. I richened the car back up some but did not get to make a pull to check it. I know I will loose some power from it. I did not think there was realy that much difference from his engine to mine. His is all LS1 for the 2000 and ofcourse mine has the LS6 manifold that came on the 2002 WS6 cars. I would thought the reason he made more power was in the programing.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Launching!

I had the opposite happen an 02 Vette made 29x hp and I made 334 with my lid cutout and tuning, stock I made 317.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Corvettes have a better flowing stock exhaust system (dual- instead of a y-pipe).

Also, did he have an automatic or manual trans? There is more loss through an auto than a manual.

I *think* Corvette's have a slightly different cam as well. But don't quote me on that- I just saw it in my LS1/LS6 book...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

you have an auto with 3.73's...

that will eat up some power
Old 03-02-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, his was a Standard. I thought the 3.73's would show more power because of the torque multiplication going on compared to the 3.23's I had stock. The Dyno shop says it does not make any difference that the Dyno computer figures that stuff out. I know the A4 uses more power. I am just trying to figure out what and if there is anything I can do to the PCM to make my stock engine preform like the standard Vettes do, before I make any mods. If any one has any advice other then takeing the torque managment out and getting the AFR to a nice flat 13:1, please let me know. I am trying to learn the basics with my stock set up, that way when I do make cam, heads, and exhaust changes I will have a good basic idea of the fundamintals with PCM programing. Instead of trying to learn with an engine really needing some profesional tunning.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like you do not even have a lid. That alone will get you about 10hp and 10tq. Also, get rid of the Flowmaster muffler and get something that actually flows.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked into buying a lid. The local dyno shop had one. So we put it on while I was dynoing the car last year. I wanted them to prove to me that it was worth the $150. SO they tried to. It helped me a whole 2hp. 2 HP for $150? I did not buy it. I agree I am not impressed with the flowmaster. I do plan on putting Headers and a good cat back system on this summer. I have not made up my mind which one to go with yet though. I really do not want the car to sound like it has no exhaust. I hope to find one that makes a great tone and makes good power. The converter will come first. Hopefully real soon.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked into buying a lid. The local dyno shop had one. So we put it on while I was dynoing the car last year. I wanted them to prove to me that it was worth the $150. SO they tried to. It helped me a whole 2hp. 2 HP for $150? I did not buy it. I agree I am not impressed with the flowmaster. I do plan on putting Headers and a good cat back system on this summer. I have not made up my mind which one to go with yet though. I really do not want the car to sound like it has no exhaust. I hope to find one that makes a great tone and makes good power. The converter will come first. Hopefully real soon.