Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator Programing Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Programing Help

hi there. i'm a bit of a novice to the LS1 world, but recently purchased a 2000 Z-28 Camaro. I've done the air lid, flowmaster exhaust, 160 degree stat, and 3:73 rear. now i bought a predator and need help. i've adjusted the trans shift but am affraid to mess with the timing advance and WOT throttle settings. Please let me know your experiences. What would be a good place to start on the timing and WOT settings to get a safe extra 10 HP? thanks, doug
Old 02-29-2004, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Are you saying you adjusted the shift points, or performance? (assuming you have an A4) If you play with the shift points, you need to play with the rev limiter settings too.

As for timing, my rule of thumb is run as much as you can without getting any KR. You can monitor both. Generally speaking, more timing = more power. The Predator tune already bumped it up quite a bit so make sure you aren't getting any knock before you increase it. (a blip of KR when you first go WOT or when it shifts is acceptable, but nothing constant)

And I would not adjust the Air/Fuel unless you are on a dyno, and one of your mods is causing you to run lean. Or you can play with it on the track to see if moving it one way or the other makes your car faster. But there is no "always-always" with this. Every car is different.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Default thanks

thanks for the reply. i didn't know i could just install a package "predator tune." i just adjusted the shift points, rev limiter, etc. now, if i advance the timing say 2 degrees, should i also add WOT fuel? or should i just play with the timing a bit? remember, i'm new at this and i just want to get a safe extra 10 HP from my Z.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I agree with WAHUSKER about the timing and A/F adjustments. Generally you want to add as much timing as you can without generating any KR.

As far as the A/F adjustments go, start by looking at your LTFT's during normal cruise/light throttle conditions and also at WOT. If they aren't locked at 0.00% during WOT and 0.00% +/- 1% to 2% during cruise then you should contact Diablosport (or the vendor you purchased the unit from) about getting a Custom Tune before you go to the Dyno. If I was to guess, I'd say that with your mod's your LTFT's are probably >+5% during normal highway cruise RPMs and in the +2% to +3% range at WOT. Once you get your WOT LTFT's locked in @ 0%, take it to a Dyno (that has wideband O2 sensor feedback) and use your Predator to richen/lean your WOT A/F ratio to the highest RWHP # without KR. You should end up in the 12.7 to 12.9:1 range.

You may want to read the sticky thread (above) on detailed diagnostic info. These guys are the experts when it comes to LS1 tuning. Also this thread from the fbod owners message board may be helpful.
http://forum.fbodyowners.com/forum/s...&threadid=8328

Good luck.
Nick
Old 03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=dougsoc]thanks for the reply. i didn't know i could just install a package "predator tune."

Just read the instructions. You load your factory tune into the Pred and then load the performance tune into your ride. Then you can tweek that tune to make it just right for you. Remember you have to use premium fuel. Enjoy, I have one and it works great.